Monday, November 15, 2010

Virals by Kathy Reichs

ViralsFrom Goodreads:


Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever. 
As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent. 
Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They are Virals.
 I have to admit something. I rarely watch the show Bones. For some reason I don't often catch it. I do get occasional updates because my mom is a huge fan and often likes to talk about it. So, I do know a bit of something about the show. Okay, now that the confession is over, I can get on to the review.

The book seems to start out as a sci-fi or perhaps paranormal novel, but quickly resolves into a full blown cold case murder mystery complete with a designer virus. It's also a novel that shows the incredible friendship of a buch of "nerds". Kids stuck on a small island together that all have intense inquisitiveness and brains at their disposal. Tory is the only female in the group, but also a bit of a leader as well. Even though all have input, she seems to have most of the influence over the group. It's her insistence and scientific curiosity that keeps the group moving to the truth.

The story gives you several twists and some of the answers are a bit unexpected. Plus, things that are all seemingly disconnected right up to the end all come together and really fits. Parts may be far-fetched, but that is where the sci-fi part comes into play. Plus, there is just enough medical and scientific explanation to make it plausible. I don't want to say too much. It is a mystery after all. It's much better to get swept away with the story and the characters and it is easy to do in this story. I think Kathy Reichs does a great job in this YA novel and I can't wait for the next due Summer 2011. Can't wait to see what there next adventure brings. I give this book 4 stars.

I was given this ARC by Razorbill and no compensation was given for my review.

You can also have a bit of fun at the website for the book HERE.

11 comments:

  1. Yayyy! Four stars is good! I'm so looking forward to reading this one, and it's on the top of my pile now! Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered this online. Glad to hear that my money was well-spent! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not know she had written a YA, cool, even if I never read her adult books.
    Nice review

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't sound as if you even need to have watched the show to enjoy this novel. Cool mixture of sci-fi and mystery genres.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this book. I remember wishing there were a bit more romance cause there were parts that seemed to hint toward it but it wasnt a main plot point. waaaaay good book though. loved it. cant wait for book 2 in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this books sounds pretty awesome. i read the 1st few pages...i'm completely addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been so curious about this!!! I keep up with Bones... sigh... my Mom watches it too, hee hee.
    Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read one review about it, which was very negative. I don't know if this is for me, but I still want to give it a try. I'm not a fan of Bones, well I have not seen a episode of it, just because I don't really like it.. mmmmmm. oh oh. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nina... I think if you like mysteries with some sci-fi thrown int (in a good way) I think you might like it. For me it really was a mystery first. So, you might consider that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the show BONES but missed all last season. I try to catch it as often as I can. This books does sounds interesting but not something I'd read just yet. I love my romance!=) LOL! No surprise there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh... forgot to say every time I read a review that attracts me but not enough to shuck my massive TBR pile- I try to find someone to buy it for so when after they read it and rave then I will then borrow that copy and read it...... So I wonder who of my family and friends would enjoy this one!!

    Thx for the review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!