Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ecstasy in Darkness (Alien Huntress, #5) by Gena Showalter

Ecstasy in Darkness (Alien Huntress, Book 5)From Goodreads:
New York Times bestselling sensation Gena Showalter enthralls with a dark, tantalizing world of humans, otherworlders, powers beyond imagining, and a seductive vampire undone by his insatiable hunger for one woman. . . .Growing up poor on New Chicago’s meanest streets, Ava Sans had two options: be the predator or be the prey. No contest. Now, working for Alien Investigation and Removal, she’s been ordered to capture the biggest, baddest warrior of all—a vampire too beautiful to be real, with the ability to manipulate time. Once the leader of the entire vampire army, McKell has been deemed savage and unstable, spurned even by his own kind. To McKell, humans should be nothing more than sustenance. Yet the petite, golden-skinned Ava is a fascinating contradiction—vicious yet witty, strong yet vulnerable, lethal but fiercely loyal. Against his better judgment, McKell craves that loyalty, and much more. When the chase leads to seduction, McKell and Ava will race to discover the truth about his past. But the answers will come at a price, even for a woman who thought she had nothing left to lose. . . .
 McKell is the ultimate alpha male. In fact he is so alpha he could have been so totally annoying. Selfish to the core as well as speaks in demands rather than statements. The reason he wasn't annoying? He actually seemed to be a child at times. Unused to the way the surface humans do things. His inability to make Ava and Noelle do what he wants ends up making him more interested than angry. He is not used to women standing on their own and telling HIM what he needs to do. In fact, the two friends end up being the only ones who capture McKell without losing a finger or two.

Ava is his match in every way. In fact they have lots of things in common including the insecurities they try to hide well. McKell and Ava break through each others blocks and learn to try to fit each other in their lives and hearts. I also loved that both Ava and Noelle had great snark going. Plus, they didn't take anything from anyone else but those they loved. This snark confused and interested McKell and he also learned the art of snark. This I loved. This made me laugh. This also helped make the book a lot of fun. In fact, I laughed out loud several times while reading. My only question during all this fun snark was when McKell would tell Ava "Good girl" when she did something he wanted her to do. By then, of course, she was in love and didn't mind this. If it was me, I would have kicked him in the... oh but then again, I'm sure he was cute when he said it. ;)

I give this book 5 stars. It has action, love, and snark. YaY for snark! It is done well and should make you laugh. I recommend this book for UF and PNR adults. I will also be on the look out for the rest of the series since this was my first introduction to the Alien Huntress series.

Click HERE to get more information and to download the first 3 chapters. Follow @genashowalter #chatPAD on twitter 11/16 at 4pm EST for a live chat about the book.

8 comments:

  1. I totally snorted the first 20% reading this one on my Kindle. Loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That good..oh, I am staring to smile over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of snark as well. From your review and the comments, this book sounds like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like it already and just look at that wonderful cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great that this was your first GS book and you still enjoyed it. I've been wanting to get into this series, but hate how behind I am. I think I'll pick this one up now. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep... everyone. It's very entertaining. Don't need to read the others in the series to pick this one up. I haven't... yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snark is my favorite word SNARK! I read something by Gena SHowalter, I think it was Darkest Passion. I wasn't taken - too much contrivance. But this sounds great. Thank you for coming by and your kind words. Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    twitter: @fangswandsfairy
    CONTEST: http://tinyurl.com/23b5ug2

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!