Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, NecromancerFrom Goodreads:

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.
Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.  
With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?
 Sam is pretty much your average guy. Unfortunately, he feels lost and doesn't know why. He dropped out of college hoping that something will come along and show him the way to enlightenment (be careful what you wish for). He works at a typical hamburger joint with his best friends Ramon, Brooke and Frank. Everything seemed like a typical boring work day until Douglas, the most powerful necromancer in his area stops by and zeros in on Sam. No necromancer should have gone undetected and so Douglas takes quite an interest in Sam. The friends find out quickly that Douglas is not trying to help him out of the goodness of his heart. In fact he quickly becomes a threat and Sam only has a short time to find the missing parts of himself that he didn't even know was missing.

This is a fun story. There is snark, but mostly with the females in the story (you know I love snark). I would also place this book more in the older YA category. The characters are around the age of 19 and there is violence and sex within the book. It isn't too graphic and I think it is more relatable to the older teen. It also ends in such a way that there suggestion of another story. No, not a cliffhanger, but one that begs a second Sam book. Hopefully the females will have a bigger presence and there will be even more snark! I give this book 4 stars and recommend it for those who want a fun YA paranormal.

The book trailer is taken directly from the book:


I was given this ARC by Henry Holt/Macmillan publishing. No compensation was given for my review.

9 comments:

  1. Lol, snark is good, I sure must read a book with some of that in it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. No cliffhanger ending?!?
    Please, please, please tell me that this is not a story that has a bit of romance in it that the characters do not fall head over heels within a matter of days... ;)
    If it isn't, it sounds perfect...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has a bit of romance in it, but I wouldn't say they were head over heels.... just yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa! I need this book now. Sounds like something I would definitely enjoy, plus I love snark and the trailer is pretty funny too!

    I love books that are able to stand on their own but suggest that there is still more to the story. Increasingly, it seems that more and more authors are leaving readers hanging, and it frustrates me to no end.

    Great review. Thanks once again for introducing me to yet another book I hadn't heard of. *runs off to put book on amazon wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seattle is a good setting for snarky necromancers. I agree that it's a city full of paranormal activity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missie, I think you'd like this one. I also hate cliffhangers.

    @Stephanie... need your stories. I've been to Spokane, but not Seattle. People were oddly normal in Spokane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh I love snark too, I think I might have to read this one. I've been seeing it a lot but haven't read many reviews of it and now I'm intrigued about the ending. Definitely going to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. :) This sounds like a great fun read. I might have to think about this one. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds simply scrumptious. I can eat snarky words all day long.

    Great Review...

    Mad Scientist

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!