Monday, July 23, 2012

The Goddess Legacy (The Goddess Test #2.5) by Aimée Carter

For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aime e Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows. 
Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness.... 
Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal.... 
Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another.... 
James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others-but never knew true loss before.... 
Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope.... 
Five original novellas of love, loss and longing and the will to survive throughout the ages.
If you were like me and read The Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted, you enjoyed the retelling of the mythology, but wanted more. Wanted to know what was kept the same as we know Greek mythology and what was changed. Well, this book is your answer. You get several stories that fill in the gaps about the relationships within the gods. I really enjoyed this installment and it answered many of the questions I had mulling in my brainpan.

Oh I do have to warn you... there will be people who you might have liked in the books, but still wanted to drop kick because of their arrogance (yes, Walter/Zeus... I'm looking right at you!). Others you will have an "ah ha" moment as to why their behavior was so over the top or why they felt guilty about things you only guessed at. And in fact you may find yourself liking a character even more than you thought you would a first.

My only complaint was Henry's story. I did understand his role and further understood what the centuries did to his psyche (no, not the goddess... his actual psyche). However, I still found him a bit too on the whiny side, but I was a bit softened to his pain.

I give this book 4 stars. Even if you haven't read the other Goddess stories, I think you will enjoy the venture into this retelling of the famous Greek mythos.
I received this eARC from the publisher and NetGalley and no compensation for my review was given.

12 comments:

  1. I'll finally try to read this book, thanks to you lol. The first one was just released here so maybe in French to see how it is. Glad you enjoyed it. I love mythology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the idea of a story about the Greek gods, I adore Persephone's story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a series a friend of mine would love. I don't think it would be up my alley but I do love Greek Mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo I definitely need to read this! I've wanted more mythology in both books (though I liked how we got a bit more in book 2), so this is clearly the perfect read for me. I've gotten kind of used to Henry and his personality, so I don't think his whiny nature will be as much of a bother in this story as it has been in the past. Awesome review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always liked Hades *sigh* But I do not want him whiny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love greek mythology and this sounds like fun, a bunch of short stories, I have not picked up this series but I am definitely condisering it. I am curious about this Walter/Zeus dude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get the first book! :) And I seriously do not like whiny people! Ugh. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do need to get to this series!! I have the second book and need the first one. And as it sounds this one too. :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must start this series as I do love Greek mythology and your reviews have been encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this one from NetGalley to read. I'm glad it's good. I am getting ready to read it. I love delving deeper into the mythology.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review, this series is still on my wishlist though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure I'll read this one. I read the first two books and didn't really like them. The logistics of the story just didn't make sense to me. It seemed too farfetched and convenient for the characters. But then again, I'm curious if maybe I'd finally get some of those ah ha moments you mentioned. Still, I don't think I care enough to bother. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!