Monday, July 9, 2012

Junk-Box Jewelry by Sarah Drew


This beautifully illustrated guide shows teens how to create eye-catching jewelry out of found or recycled objects—at very little cost. Some fun projects include making pendants out of pebbles; sewing a stylish cuff using scraps of fabric; and fashioning a funky charm bracelet out of extra screws, washers, and other toolbox trinkets. The easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions are suitable for both beginner- and intermediate-level crafsters. This book also provides bonus tips on the tools you need to get started, where to find materials, and how to make money from your jewelry.
This book is geared toward teens who want to be a bit creative toward their jewelry but either will not or cannot spend much money. I think that the author should have just geared it toward everyone since many people of all ages like to make something new from something we don't use anymore. I'm one of them.

I enjoyed the creativity of the various projects throughout the book. I think when I have time I will try a few of these techniques. There is also a few wire wrapping techniques I've been wanting to try that are also included in this book. So I can see someone using this as an introduction to one technique and expanding to another. For those that crochet, you might also find one of the techniques interesting since there is an introduction to wire crochet. 

I give this book 3 stars I found this book useful for spring boarding ideas by using old jewelry. That in itself is worth the price of the book. I just think the author should expand her audience to all ages.
I received this eARC from NetGalley and the Publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

An example of what I was talking about can be seen at the publisher's website HERE and also below:
click to enlarge

7 comments:

  1. It does sound like a good intro into jewelry making :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the wire wrapping is a lot harder to do than it looks. And I always wish I had kept up with crocheting, but sadly, I lost any skill I might have had for it many years ago. I'm just too lazy. lOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's nice, I like it. I confess I don't do a lot of things like that but I love to wear them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love making jewelry. Wish I had this book then! Sadly, I don't have the time anymore. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so not good at making things, I wish I was though

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these typs of book. LOL< I actually have a book called, "The Big ASS book of crafts" LOL! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really made much jewelry, but i agree, this should definitey be targeted to all ages. A friend of mine is in her mid-twenties and she likes to be all sorts of creative with jewelry and things.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!