Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Shadow Touch (Shadow #2.5) and Shadow Play (Shadow #3.5) by Erin Kellison

Shadow Touch (Shadow #2.5) 
Magic 
It is bleeding into our world, bringing with it banshees, wraiths, fae from the twisting forests of Twilight. But Elllie’s problem is a very different kind of phenomenon... 
Shadow 
It ought to be attached to her; instead it has a life of its own. And her dark mirror image is a wild thing, willfully seducing the very man Ellie hoped could help. 
Science 
Cam has devoted his career to exploring the boundaries between this world and the Hereafter. But nothing could prepare him for the mischief and mayhem of a soul split in two. 
Surrender 
Who will give in first: the man struggling to unite two halves of one fascinating female; the shadow fighting for freedom to experience the thrill of every emotion; or the woman who is about to discover her own deepest desires?
Although this novella is #2.5, it really is an offshoot of the main series. This one we are introduced to Cam and Ellie. One is a scientist and the other is desperately seeking help. She has an unusual problem.  Her Shadow is separate from the rest of her. Still a part of her, but able to act on it's own. She captures the attention of the scientist she sought out for help and he ends up falling for the woman with the unusual problem.

This is a quick read and fun. You could read it as a stand a lone, but I don't suggest you do. The world has already been established for you and that allows the book to take off for the reader. It also brings a question for you... what would you do if the id part of yourself was separate and in full view of everyone you meet? Could you handle that unfettered part of yourself? I'm so not going there in my review (sorry.. heh) but I think Ellie did a great job of handling the situation.

I give this novella 4 stars. It's a great introduction to these characters in the Shadow world.

Shadow Play (Shadow #3.5) 
Shadow 
The world is growing dark with it as mysteries from antiquity and legend creep into our time, bringing a new world of danger, beauty and... 
Magic 
Dr. Cam Kalamos has dedicated his life to studying its strange properties, but nothing is more intriguing than a woman whose soul is split in half, one part under her control, one part bent on... 
Seduction 
How can he resist the lure of a lover with no inhibitions and an insatiable desire to possess him? Both Ellie and her shadow want Cam, but there is an innocent child to be rescued from the forest and the strange fae creatures of... 
Twilight 
Love, loyalty, betrayal—which will rule? As Ellie sends her other self into the darkness, there is only one certainty: Trusting in shadows is a dangerous game.
This novella is actually a follow up from the first novella I just reviewed above. It involves the same characters only now they are given their first assignment at Segue. They are to help a woman take back her son from a vortex that opened up while they were hiking. This story is a version of the changeling stories of old.

I think I like Ellie and Cam even more so in this story. I really enjoyed their relationship and laughed at Ellie's Shadow who seems to be able to interact with Ellie in her head more. I also like Ellie finding out a bit more about herself and what she can and cannot do with her new power. I wouldn't mind visiting them again if another novella or even novel comes out. I really would love to see even more growth of Ellie into an even stronger woman. I give this short interesting story 4 stars. I really recommend both of these novellas for those that love PNR and the Shadow series.

11 comments:

  1. Oh look at you busting out the novellas! I wish I liked them more but alas I always get lost when I want more from the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo look at your blog Melissa! You're all festive and things, and your header is too cute! I read the first book in this series and really enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to reading the second book and these novellas so I can get back to this world. Glad to know you enjoyed both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blog that sparkles! I think Edward is going to be jealous! LOL

    Love the new look. It is so YOU!!

    Good to know that these can be read as stand alones. Still, I don't think I could get myself to do that. I would need to read them in order. Ever since I got tricked, I'm extra cautions to follow my own rules. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new layout is so fun and explosive. :) Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new look! Awesome!

    I can love novellas. Even though I have not read teh series, novella's give the reader that slight inside to the world. Usually novellas area good for me to see if I am going to like the book or not. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to have a novella you can read without the series. It sounds interesting, I like the covers. thanks for the two reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you find all these cool headers? I do love the constant change :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, two reviews for the price of one. Wonderful stuff, out of these two books it's the first that appeals to me most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If my id was out there for everyone to see? That would be quite embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I have all of those books on my shelves, and still have not read them! Bad me. I need more reading time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!