Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legend #1) by Linda Poitevin


A detective with a secret lineage. An undercover Hunter with a bullet-proof soul. And a world made to pay for the sins of an angel… 
Homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis answers to no one. Especially not to the new partner assigned to her in the middle of a gruesome serial killer case-a partner who is obstructive, irritatingly magnetic, and arrogant as hell. 
Aramael is a Power—a hunter of the Fallen Angels. A millennium ago, he sentenced his own brother to eternal exile for crimes against humanity. Now his brother is back and wreaking murderous havoc in the mortal realm. To find him, Aramael must play second to a human police officer who wants nothing to do with him and whose very bloodline threatens both his mission and his soul. 
Now, faced with a fallen angel hell-bent on triggering the apocalypse, Alex and Aramael have no choice but to join forces, because only together can they stop the end of days.
This is a good thriller detective story with lots of paranormal happenings. It all stars when Alex is investigating a serial killer they just can't seem to find a lead. Alternatively, Aramael is the only angel in heaven willing to take on both the demon wreaking havoc on mortals and protect a Nephilim whom the angels consider anathema. I admit I was pretty captivated with the story and what twists I was going to encounter.

I did have a few problems, however, with this book. One was with The One. Although I loved that it was a she, I was not too happy that she was seen more as human and alternated with being omniscient. It was if the character couldn't decide what to be nor how to handle the situation at hand... and YET know what was going on while being in the dark. It was quite frustrating to me and confusing at the same time.

I would have also liked more build in the relationship with Alex and Aramael. They were avoiding the obvious most of the time so when they finally admitted to themselves that they felt for each other, there wasn't much time building on that, so it felt a bit hollow.

Despite these problems, I still found this book enjoyable and am curious as to how things will sort itself. It doesn't end with a cliffie, but with a huge opening. I liked The One at bit better toward the end as well, so I'm hoping all that happened in this book will make me understand her character better as the series goes on. I give this book 3 stars. I recommend it for those that love detective thriller stories with a side of PNR.

17 comments:

  1. I need to catch up on my reading with this series as well! I love the cover for this - it's exactly the sort of cover that intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT's a great cover and this might end up in my by the pool pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think I would like this one more than you :) Especially if the mystery part is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds really interesting, though I know I'm going to want Alex and Aramael to own up to their feelings a bit earlier as well. I know there is a second book already out or about to come out, so maybe I'll wait to see what you think of that one before I pick this one up:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have the next one in a couple of weeks... I think. LOL

      Delete
  5. I liked it :=D And well I will not say anything about A and A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with this series and now I am curious as to what exactly The One is....I do enjoy a good mystery with a paranormal twist. Makes it way more fun! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm now I'm a little anxious to start this book. I have the first one since its released but haven't read it yet. I'm curious to know if it will be the same for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I love a good story where the reader gets to piece together information. I love it! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review! I've been wanting to give this book and series a try. Sorry you didn't mind the one thing, but sounds like a very good start. :)

    Thank you! And sorry I haven't been by. Stupid computer crashed on me, so not on much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I won this book and have been meaning to get to it!! Once I do, I will have to remember to come back here to compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an interesting book. I don't know if I would like it or not...but I do like a good paranormal romance with a mystery. LOL


    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds pretty cool. I like mysteries with paranormal elements.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review, I still have to start reading this series as well. ps did you know there is a typo in your blog header?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not until now... eh... the dog can speak with typos. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!