Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sins of the Sun (Grigori Legacy #2) by Linda Poitevin

A detective with a secret…
When homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis sees a photo of Seth Benjamin on a police bulletin, she knows that Heaven’s plan to halt Armageddon has gone terribly wrong. As the only mortal aware of Seth’s true nature, only she can save him.

An exiled angel turned assassin…
Aramael was a hunter of Fallen Angels until a traitor forced him into earthly exile. Now, with no powers and only a faint memory of Alex, his mortal soulmate, he will stop at nothing to redeem himself—even if it means destroying Seth in the name of the Creator.

A world with little chance of redemption…
As Alex’s need to protect Seth sets her on a fiery course with the determined Aramael, the coming conflict between them may push the world over the edge—and into the very chaos they’re trying to prevent.
 Although I did have a few problems in the first book, this book still had some of those same problems for me. Not much was clarified. However, I have to say, I didn't bug me like it did in the last book. In fact, it didn't bother me at all. It might be because we deal more with the "real" world than the heavenly one.

This one was more about suspense and thrills. Plus, the world was established for the most part in this series. I was fully involved with Alex in this book and there also ends up being a few questions about how she fits in and how their decisions affect the coming books in the series. I have to admit that now, I'm fully involved and want to know what else is going to happen. What are the consequences?

I have to warn those that don't care for love triangles that this one has a whopper of a triangle. One that is built on solid legs that doesn't seem to collapse any time soon. Decisions are made but doors remain open. I actually would love to see those that normally hate triangles read this one. There are no weak decisions, no weak connections to each option within this triangle. And despite this, I have to say I'm not convinced that there was enough romance for either choice. I do suspect that that may be coming in the series. I also understand completely why it didn't happen here. If it did, it would have actually been a distraction instead of helping the story along.

I give this book 4 stars. I am really liking the way this world is shaping up. I recommend it to those who like thrillers and UF.
I received this book from the publisher, Pocket and no compensation for my review was given.

15 comments:

  1. so glad you feelings impreoved with this one... still need to read book 1. I'll succeed one day, I'm sure of it lol. I'm curious to learn more about this novel. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best triangle ever! I liked how it turns out..I really liked it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found this less of a bug to read than the first book, it sometimes seems to take a book or two for a series to find its pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read book one. Glad you were able to get into this one more. I find that is often the case with first books in series but if you're willing to read book 2 there must be some potential! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have to trust you on this one, because I am a stickler for world building and I am so fed up with love triangles these days that I can't handle a whooper of one. I am glad though that this is a good series for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thriller and urban fantasy, hmmm, I love a good thriller that can give me chills. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one back in April. Yep I HATE love triangles. The only reason this one didn't bother me as badly as they normally do is cause as you said there wasn't a lot of romance in this one. (I didn't read the first one)
    The story itself took center stage, not the romance so I was able to handle the triangle issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review! I still have not read this series, and that is bad as I won the first ebook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "One that is built on solid legs that doesn't seem to collapse any time soon."

    Ooooo! I love your way with words, Mel. But yeah, don't think this series is for me. I know the lack of clarification would bug the heck out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea... this series may not be for you. Not really romantic in that way. Much more solidly UF.

      Delete
  10. And see I was wondering what she was going to do with this book. I was worried about their being a triangle with Seth and Aramael and it looks like there is. I hate triangles, but I think I'm going to read it just to see and because you liked it so much. I think the thing that bugged me most about the first book was how stubborn Alex was. She was just couldn't stop being a biotch. I was hoping she wasn't so arrogant and stubborn in this book. I guess I'm going to give in because in the end I really did like the first book. Does this one have more sexy time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has very little of the romance and sexy time, but I don't think it would have worked here. It would have ruined the triangle (and I'm not a fan of those, but it works here!)

      Delete
  11. So she's got two guys yet there's still not enough romance? Sheesh! Maybe she needs a third guy for a love square?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like that is quite a love triangle is she's got her soulmate coming after the guy she's "fiercely" protecting. Might cause a bit of tension. I can see how nobody would be getting busy. She's probably too busy trying to keep people from killing each other! This sounds like a really interesting twist on the Angel thing which, frankly, I'm bored with. I add to your YA list you add to my PNR and UF list. Give and take :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I do want to try this series. And same troubles though. Hmm.

    I do love that man on the cover with the fire wings. :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!