Monday, July 30, 2012

Monster in My Closet by R.L. Naquin

I stopped believing in monsters long ago. But I knew I wasn’t imagining things when I found one in my kitchen baking muffins. I’d seen him before: lurking in my closet, scaring the crap out of my five-year-old self. Turns out that was a misunderstanding, and now Maurice needs a place to stay. How could I say no? 
After all, I’ve always been a magnet for the emotionally needy, and not just in my work as a wedding planner. Being able to sense the feelings of others can be a major pain. Don’t get me wrong, I like helping people—and non-people. But this ability has turned me into a gourmet feast for an incubus, a demon that feeds off emotional energy. Now, brides are dropping dead all over town, and my home has become a safe house for the supernatural. I must learn to focus my powers and defeat the demon before he snacks on another innocent woman and comes looking for the main course…

I admit I picked this book to review because of the title. I was curious... I mean who hasn't been stalked by the closet monster at least once in their life. Plus, this book just sounded like fun.

Oh I was so right. This book is just fun. Not an on the edge of your chair book, nor a huge smexy time book, but there are hints at both. The heroine isn't snarky like I usually enjoy, but quirky enough that you just enjoyed her presence. Plus you can't forget the monster in the closet! I mean I would totally want one to move in with me. What? You think I'm crazy? Just think... someone who takes up literally very little space (hello? closet!), cooks gourmet meals AND cleans! Seriously, where can I get a friendly closet monster? :)

Actually the menagerie of monsters that come and visit are enough entertainment, but there is a problem. One that comes in an incubus. No, not our usual incubus who ends up being the smexy hero, but a genuine demon bent on destroying our heroine and her friends. Oh, but not to worry... there ends up being a smexy hero thrown in the mix as well. One you will enjoy meeting.

I give this fun monster book 4 stars. If you are looking for some light reading with a fun twist, I do recommend picking up this book.
I received this eARC from the publisher and NetGalley and no compensation for my review was given.

15 comments:

  1. Oh it sounds nice, I haven't tried this one but now I think I did a mistake. I'm curious to learn more. You're right Monster on the Closet is a great title and we want to know more about the story after that. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fun! Fun is awesome when reading and I think more books should just be downright fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a closet monster too!!! oh please move in with me Closet Monster

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a monster in my closet. As long as he is hott!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeeellll... this one isn't hot... LOL but he does cook yummy things...

      Delete
  5. I want someone in my kitchen baking muffins! I don't care if it's monsters or not! :-)
    I am definitely interested if only cos it sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a blast! I need a fun read! I am definitley going to see if I can still request this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait just one minute. One of the monsters cooks gourmet meals and cleans? Where do I sign up for one? That would be so nice:) It's always nice to stumble across a book that's just fun to read, something to enjoy without stressing too much or thinking to hard. Glad you enjoyed it Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds like a good one! Thanks for sharing.

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone who lives in the closet and cooks and cleans? Sounds like my future husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I giggled during the synopsis. I mean, the monster who used to scare her is now baking in her kitchen. Glad to know you liked it and sometimes a light fun read is exactly what I need. Plus, I could use a smexy hero. Let's be honest, I can ALWAYS use more smut. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound like a good fun light read. :) Thank you! And I have to say I love that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure sounds like a fun read, I'll put it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't love the cover but a story with a muffin-baking monster sounds like it could be worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A monster who cleans! What a...umm... monster!!! hehe

    I like it when a story holds hints of a lot of different elements, but sexy heroes always help too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!