Monday, January 4, 2016

Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley

Standalone
352 p.
Publisher: Amulet Books
Published: 1/5/16
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
Charlotte, Branwell, Emily, and Anne. The Brontë siblings have always been inseparable. After all, nothing can bond four siblings quite like life in an isolated parsonage out on the moors. Their vivid imaginations lend them escape from their strict upbringing, actually transporting them into their created worlds: the glittering Verdopolis and the romantic and melancholy Gondal. But at what price? As Branwell begins to slip into madness and the sisters feel their real lives slipping away, they must weigh the cost of their powerful imaginations, even as their characters—the brooding Rogue and dashing Duke of Zamorna—refuse to let them go. 
Gorgeously written and based on the Brontës’ juvenilia, Worlds of Ink & Shadow brings to life one of history’s most celebrated literary families.
My thoughts:

One of my favorite stories is Jane Eyre. So, of course, this one caught my attention. Not only do I love the cover, but I loved the idea. I was not disappointed.

The world is a mash up of imagination, story, fae world and reality. We are drawn into each of these worlds by all 4 of the Brontë siblings. As the stories intwine so do the siblings. Each having their own personality but yet complimenting the other in reality and in the imaginative worlds. Their bonds will be tested in this adventure but all come to the same conclusion in the end. There is no cliffie and this is a self contained novel. Sometimes these things can be so refreshing.

My only real complaint was the father. There was something more to him and we only had hints of what he knew. Did he know the extent of what went on in the household or did he only guess. I would have loved to see more interaction with the father since he seemed like an important character and yet still lived on the fringe of the story.

I give this book 4 stars. I really enjoyed my time here and seeing how the characters of Jane Eyre developed in Charlotte's imagination. I think that is what I was looking for in this book and I received what I wanted. I recommend it to those that enjoy YA fantasy.

22 comments:

  1. A great cover. I'm so glad this didn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Jane Eyre Mellisa. How much do I fail? I love the sound of this one though, and I'm so glad it was just as you'd hoped it would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you saw any of the movie adaptations, you are good. They follow the book pretty closely. ;)

      Delete
  3. The father definitely sounds like he has secrets! This does sound really interesting and I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only skimmed this one because I have it on my nightstand to read. I'm also a big Brontes fan. I'm much more of a Wuthering Heights girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! I do love stories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Jane Eyre yet. Eep! I love that this is s stand alone - glad you weren't disappointed.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always irks me when there's a fringe character who seems like s/he should be *more* in the story. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting take! That cover is stunning, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I reallt need to try Jane Eyre, everyone is talking about and I feel like I'm the only one who haven't read the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh what an interesting premise! I do love Jane Eyre so I shall defs give this one a go xD

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, this is really not for me, but I am glad you liked it. I think I do have a few of their books next to my Jane Austen, but can't think of a title at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not read Jane Eyre (I know, I know) but I love this cover and I'm definitely curious about the story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried twice to read Jane Eyre and never gotten through it, I guess maybe I should try another spin off?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bronte and Fae? How the heck did miss this???

    ReplyDelete
  15. I looove Jane Eyre so I definitely need to pick this up ASAP. I can't believe I missed it, actually! Thanks for putting this on my radar, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read any Jane Eyre. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!