Friday, January 8, 2016

Audiobook Review with Crafts: Illusion by J. S. Cooper


Series: Swept Away #1
Narrator: Carly Robins
Unabridged
8 hrs. 50 min.
Publisher: Audible
Published 3/10/2015
Source: Library/Hoopla
The day started like every other day... 
One morning, Bianca London found herself locked up in a van with a strange man. Ten hours later, she and the man woke up on a deserted island, with no recollection as to how they got there. Bianca has no idea what is going on and her attraction to the man is the only thing that is keeping her fear at bay. 
The night ended like every other night... 
Jakob Bradley, wanted nothing to do with the strange woman he had been imprisoned on the island with. He was more concerned in figuring out why they had been put on the island and how they could get off. He didn’t care that as the days went by he was starting to enjoy her company more and more. 
But was everything as it seemed? 
Bianca and Jakob find themselves trying to figure out how they may be connected, but as they grow closer, secrets start being revealed that may destroy everything they thought they knew about each other and their budding love.
My thoughts:

Well, I received the 3rd book in the mail so I decided to try the first two books on audio to catch up. I could tell I needed to read these books in order. I was unsure how I would like it as I saw that it didn't quite meet up to expectations with other bloggers I trusted.

Well, I get why it didn't meet expectations. Even with my lowered expectations I got an eye workout. I know that might sound confusing when it is an audiobook, but my constant eyerolling at the characters and what happened to them gave me that workout. I was also frequently heard saying, "Really?!" and "No Kidding!" Yea, it wasn't the best audio experience I've had. 

I did like Carly's narration. That wasn't the problem, I just didn't like the characters. Bianca went from TSTL to intelligently sussing out the problems within the stories she was given. If there was more intelligence than TSTL, then I would have like it better. I also didn't like Jakob. He went from creepy stalker dude, to rapey in his statements to total gentleman. Yea, no consistency in either character. Therefore when it came time that these two really came together, it was just awkward. No real chemistry. It was not smexy at all and I would have ffwd these parts if I could have (I was in the middle of a project and so couldn't easily ffwd it). What kept me going was the mystery. Why were they on the island and what was going on. Only thing that seemed to work in the book and yet even that stretched my endurance. However, it did keep me from dnf'ing the book.

I give this audio 1 1/2 stars.Yea, I am listening to the second book. Like I said the mystery is what kept me going and while you don't get answers the book is short enough that I was willing to continue with the next short book. I'm determined to know what the heck is going on. I just hope I can make it through the second book. I do think that this book is good for some romance audiences, it just wasn't for me.

The Crafts!
This was for a Christmas pressie to the mom of the newest family member. It is a "Pram Caddy" by Muffy Duck Designs. The horse head is a free motion appliqué design by Winter Wear Designs. I reduced the size of the horse by 50% to fit on the lid. It was my first one and I had fun doing it. You cut out different aspects of the design in different fabrics and then outline with your sewing machine like you are sketching on the machine. I want to do more of them. I had to change a few small details (like the nostrils) but not much else. I hope she liked it.

33 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that is a low rating for you. I can understand why you want to continue with the series though.

    Loving your latest project. I really like that gingham print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to like this one too since I don't do many contemporaries, but the ones I do try I usually love.

      Delete
  2. Yikes, but good of you to keep on going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I just HAVE to know! At least the audios aren't that long.

      Delete
  3. An eye workout, I love it. Well, not really since it meant it was not that great but funny nonetheless with the terminology. Sorry this wasn't better.
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. An Eye workout that made me laugh. I can't believe you are continuing after this disappointment. At least you made some fantastic crafts while listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* I can't believe it either, but now it's like a moral imperative to know what happens. I know I'm not getting answers with the next book, but I figure if I don't do it, I'll miss clues. *sigh*

      Delete
  5. LOL on the eye workout, Melissa! Yeah, I'm going to take a pass on this one. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I accidently read the novella 1.5 then this and sadly won't continue..I cannot stand her, and I kinda spoiled it by reading the novella...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I love the eye workout! I'll definitely be avoiding this one.

    I love that craft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well your project is just full of awesome. The book...woulda tried my patience I'm betting. Can't deal with the TSTL heroines. Whew! And the inconsistency would grate my nerves. Hope the others go better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! You might like the smexy times, but I don't think you'd enjoy the rest.

      Delete
  9. That book isn't for me but at least you want to continue?? lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more like a mission now. I want to at least solve the mystery. :)

      Delete
  10. Your caddy is so beautiful! I love the pattern and color too, gingham pink!

    I disliked this book. It didn't make sense to me, focusing on sex and other stupid stuff versus getting off the island. And what's up with all the nakedness?! I lived in a tropical country my whole life, being naked is the last thing you'd want to do with all that sun. This is nothing like Tracy Garvis Graves (?) book. I forgot the title lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      ...and the sand! I would think they would still be pulling sand out of areas they didn't know exist. LOL

      Delete
  11. Oh no, it looked so good. Nothing worse than rolling your eyes while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that's unfortunate. At least your craft project turned out cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The book totally does not appeal to me, but your craft work is awesome! You could totally open a store with these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. complicated mainly if you have the third book to read. I'm not much an audio person but I'm sorry this one wasn't for you. I hope the second will be better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I did like the mystery, but that is all unfortunately.

      Delete
  15. "He went from creepy stalker dude, to rapey in his statements to total gentleman."

    How very charming. I think I'm going to take a pass on this one for sure Melissa. TSTL plus a love interest who makes rapey statements equals no thank you.

    And that pram caddy is AWESOME! You are a crafting machine:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently has a similar bad experience with an audiobook. I DNF'd it pretty quickly though. The mystery does have me curious. And that pram caddy is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my. So sorry to hear about the book. And that is one adorable basket! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you're giving this series a go, a shame it didn't really work out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!