Monday, June 4, 2012

Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell #2) by Jenn Bennett

MAGICAL TRICKS. DEMONIC TREATS.

After narrowly escaping her fate as a sacrificial scapegoat, Arcadia Bell is back to normal. Or at least as ordinary as life can be for a renegade magician and owner of a tiki bar that caters to Earthbound demons. She’s gearing up for the busiest day of the year—Halloween—when a vengeful kidnapper paralyzes the community.

The influential head of the local Hellfire Club taps Cady to track down the fiendish bogeyman, and now that she’s dating red-hot Lon Butler, the Club’s wayward son, she can hardly say no. Cady and Lon untangle a gruesome thirty-year trail of clues that points to danger for the club members’ children. But locating the person behind the terror will require some metaphysical help from Cady’s loyal bar patrons as well as her potent new Moonchild powers—and she’d better figure it out before the final victim disappears and her own darkest secret becomes her biggest enemy.
I think I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first book, Kindling the Moon. It is also a book I believe you should read in order because of all the magical details involved in this world. It would just make this book read much more smoothly.

This book was as much fun as the first and doesn't get slowed down too much by detail. Well, there are a couple of times when this does happen, but they are necessary in understanding what is going on and personally I didn't mind it. It does move much faster than the first book and I have to say the characters were as fun in this book, if not more so.

Lon is still the hottie we knew him in the first. Still that great father to Jupe. Oh and Jupe... just as sweet and as ADHD as ever! In a way he really brings out the humanity in all the characters especially Lon and Cady. There are also twists as there were in the first book and it doesn't quite end up as you suspect. That is a good thing.

My only complaint was the situation with Dare. To not give anything away, let me just say that this situation just didn't ring true on how Cady would handle things. Plus where was Lon? I didn't think he would stand for it either, but then again, we aren't sure how much he knows. I figure despite my criticism, I will reserve complete judgement until the next book. Things may happen to make me slap my head and declare, "I get it!" I can totally see me doing that so I shall be prepared and wear a helmet when reading the next book (which I want like NOW). Oh and yes, I'm totally evil laughing at your question as to what happened. You know I'm not telling.

I give this book 4 stars. Lovers of UF with a good dose of PNR will enjoy this book.
I received this book from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

12 comments:

  1. DUDE you are killing me---seriously!

    So now this one is better than book 1 and you almost made me "break" my TBR buying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a really great book. You're rigjt Lon and Jupe are totally awesome. I can't wait to read the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *jaw drop*

    You! Giving us advice on reading books in order? Oh my word!

    hehee... Okay, I'm sure you are tired of that joke already, but I can't help myself. Can you blame me?

    Let me know if you'd like to borrow my derby helmet when you read the next book. It's pretty good. I fall on it all the time and still no brain damage... well, none that I've notice. Others may not agree. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book two already! I need to read book one! I loved the line about you reading the next one with a helmet for the a ha moment. That made me giggle. Loved that the second book surpassed the first...that is always a good sign! I love all the graphics on your blog they are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do make it sound good even it book 1 did not rock my boat. I will wait for book 3 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - oh, my don't beat yourself up, please! By all your questions, it sounds like the author has got exciting plans for future plots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very glad this is already on my shelves, I really want to start reading it soon. Even took the first book with me to Berlin, but too little reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read and enjoyed both books quite a bit. I really like the three main characters and for a teen character, Jupe is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I don't like reading books out order anyway. I need to read them in order.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool! And a strong suggestion to read in order from the bounce around queen. Wow. I will definitely do that. :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! I'm still a noob when it comes to UF so I'll definitely check this one out. I'm OCD when it comes to book order so you don't have to tell me twice. :p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!