Saturday, September 25, 2010

Banned Book: Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume


Davey has never felt so alone in her life. Her father is dead—shot in a holdup—and now her mother is moving the family to New Mexico to try to recover.
Climbing in the Los Alamos canyon, Davey meets the mysterious Wolf, who can read Davey’s “sad eyes.” Wolf is the only person who seems to understand the rage and fear Davey feels.
Slowly, with Wolf’s help, Davey realizes that she must get on with her life. But when will she be ready to leave the past behind and move toward the future? Will she ever stop hurting?
Who hasn't been affected by Judy Blume at one time in their life? Tiger Eyes is a book that I remember as a kid. I loved this book. It's about loss. Not just the loss of her father through death but with her sense of safety, sense of normal. She meets a mysterious stranger named, Wolf whom she falls for, but more importantly she is helped by this person. Wolf helps her realize that life is worth living and the future can hold more than just sorrow. He helps her to feel again and not just try to live in a world that is numb.

I can't believe that this book is a part of the banned books list. But then again, I can't believe that most books on that list are banned. This book was obviously good enough to have stayed with me for many years. I recommend this book for anyone that hasn't read Judy Blume and wants to read one. I also recommend it for banned books week.

I also recommend:

Of course this one is a bit of a no brainer, but again, an important book that has been banned for one stupid reason or another.

So, what banned books do you remember? Which one's stood out in your mind? Which one's shocked you when you found out they were banned?

Lists of Frequently Banned books.

10 comments:

  1. What? Ok what is the reason behind banning Anne Frank and I will go and kick their ass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never knew Anne Frank's story was banned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catcher in the Rye, of course, which is now taught in many high schools, even though it is still controversial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I think I've read Tiger Eyes but I'm not completely sure. What really gets me is that cover - as soon as I saw it, a memory of middle school came back to me. I don't think I've seen that book since then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I wasn't the only who was surprised when I heard Anne Frank's Diary was banned. But then, I'm usually surprised when I hear about banned books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the heck? Why is Tiger Eyes banned? I never knew Anne Frank was banned, too...we had to read that in middle school. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Tiger Eyes but I forgot what it was about until your post. Banned - Why in the world?! Oh, right, the children should be protected from the fact that PEOPLE DIE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously!?! Anne Frank is a banned book? I didn't know that. They use to use this book in schools to teach with. That is a tragedy. I think sometimes we are trying to hide from the children of the world the mistakes we made and don't want them to know. People now-a-days are not like this in Anne Frank (well there are people who still think that way, but as a cultural whole not anymore). I think its good to know what has happened to prevent it in the future. But teach that this is not the beliefs of the people now a days so there is no discrimination started, if that is what people are worried about.

    Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Tiger Eyes cover makes me miss the cover designs of my youth. It's shocking that either of these books are banned until you realize how big the lists of banned books are (i.e. these books are in very good, plentiful company)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the book Tiger Eyes, I read it about 22 years ago and I still remember it. Also, The Diary of Anne Frank. I actually got that book on my 8th grade graduation from one of the secretaries. They are both great books and should be taught to young adults it might help them figure out who they are and that they are not alone. Who ever banned them needs lots of prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!