Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ultraviolet by R. J. Anderson: Early Review for Yanks

Description:
Once upon a time there was a girl who was special. 
This is not her story. 
Unless you count the part where I killed her. 
Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?
I have to say I loved the first part of this book. Alison believes she killed a classmate and is hiding a secret only her mother knows about. However, trying to piece together the last few days is trying and is especially hard since she found herself locked in a mental institution under strong anti-psychotic medication. As things slowly become a bit more clear we see how Alison perceives the world through her senses. She is a synesthesiate and sees words and sounds in colors and shapes. She was taught to hide this ability and so has no problem seeing herself as crazy as everyone in the institution. However, an enigmatic neuropsychologist, Faraday, comes to visit and she finds out about her ability. For once in her life she can see her self as a "normal" freak. This growth is what I enjoyed.

The second part of the book takes a huge turn that I didn't see coming. At first, I didn't like this turn. I rebelled against it and yet, I read on. I am glad I did. Even though it took me a moment to adjust, I did and I was again compelled by the story. I honestly didn't like it as much, but I still liked the ending to this story. One thing that can be said, is that it is anything but predictable. Oh, am I going to tell you the twist? *evil laugh* Seriously, did you expect a different answer? ;)

I give this well researched story 4 1/2 stars. I really enjoyed it. It is especially good for anyone curious bout the synesthesia experience. It is currently out for the UK audience, but we have to wait unti Sept. 1 for us Yanks. :P

I received this eARC from NetGalley and no compensation was given.

17 comments:

  1. I have this book from Netgalley and am really excited about reading it. I know you didn't like the second part, but I love twists of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an intense story. It hadn't really interested me when I saw it on Net Galley but after reading your review I feel compelled to give it a try. Your comment about the second part of the book has me a little weary though your reassurance about a satisfying ending makes me feel a little better. I'm also really interested in reading about a character with Synesthesia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is that evil laugh again. I really need to read this so I can evil laugh alongside you.

    Great review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - a book us Brits get before the US...that's unusual!! Makes me feel like getting it and reading it just to feel smug! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound intriguing and your review only added to my determination to buy this one, thank you very much Melissa! You will ruin me one day! ;p

    Mel, I quite remember that Sapphique by C.Fisher was also first published in Europe...sometimes life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Anachronist in that this does sound intriguing and, being set where it is, a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific concept - too bad this Yank has to wait! I'm dying to check out the twist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review! I didn't get it cause I wasn't to fond of the synopsis, it didn't grab me like I wanted to. But I am glad that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *shakes head* No one pulls off a evil laugh like you do
    *bows down to the master*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dammit. Now I really want to know what happens with the second half of this book! And you gave it a 4.5 which means it's amazing. Must. Read. Now:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one sounds so cool. I just adore the concept and am glad to see it really delivers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa. I love how you worded this review for the second half. I totally get what you mean because the same has happened to me.

    A synesthesiate? Wow, how fascinating.

    And didn't your momma ever tell you it's not nice to evil laugh at people?

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Misha... Oh I hope you enjoy it. I ended up liking the second part although I admit I didn't think I would.

    @Simcha... It was just such a twist! I hope you enjoy it. Her form of synesthesia was interesting.

    @Nic... Yes, lets evil laugh together! :)

    @Mel... *goes to Mel's and steals book* You can have it back after Sept. 1st! ;D

    @anachronist... You are welcome! :) It depends on where it is published and contracted first. This author is from the UK, so it makes sense.

    @...Petty... It is different. Very refreshing in that way.

    @Alyssa... Oh you need to go to netgalley! ;)

    @Savannah...I was curious enough. I think this is one you might enjoy. It isn't as creepy as it sounds.

    @Blodeuedd... *bows back* Why thank you. :D

    @Jenny... It was shocking! :D

    @Logan... If you get it, I hope you have as much enjoyment with it as I did.

    @Missie...No, my momma never said that. She just evil laughed at me. I wonder where I got it from? Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the first three sentences of the synopsis. It reveals a slightly snarky defiance to the heroine’s character and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am reading a book sort of like this at the moment where it appears to be going one way and then switches gears! I love really well researched and put together stories, they are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice review! I really enjoyed the first part of this book too. I loved learning about Alison right along with her. Very interesting. However, the 2nd half was just odd for me. I still think the book was good, but kinda corny...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!