Friday, July 22, 2011

Original Sin by Beth McMullen

Original Sin: A Sally Sin AdventureDescription:
On the surface, Lucy Hamilton looks just like all the other stay-at-home San Francisco moms. She takes her three-year-old son, Theo, to the beach, to the playground and to the zoo. She feeds him organic applesauce and free-range chicken. She folds laundry and plays on the floor with Matchbox cars until her knees ache. What no one knows about Lucy, not even her adoring husband, is that for nine years Lucy was Sally Sin, a spy for the United States Agency for Weapons of Mass Destruction. And that's just the way she wants to keep it - a secret. But when Lucy's nemesis Ian Blackford, a notorious illegal arms dealer, hits the USAWMD's radar, the Agency calls Sally Sin back to action to lure Blackford out into the open. Racing against time, Lucy must fight to save herself, her loving family - and, oh right - the world. Hilarious and resonant, ORIGINAL SIN is the story of one woman’s quest to find that most elusive work-life balance in the face of danger, intrigue, and proper recycling habits.
 I thought this was a YA book when I first glanced at it. The bright pink just yelled YA to me. This is not the case. The book is actually a spy novel. One about a wife and mother of a 3 year old. Retired from her life of adventure and not quite willing to let go of the paranoia that plagued her as a spy. I found that part to be interesting as she would often compare motherhood to a toddler to her spying life. For example, she found that growing eyes on the back of your head with quick reflexes to be quite useful with a child. Scary useful. :)

The book is told in the way you might see in those old spy movies. Where the spy is reminiscing and telling a long story. This can really work for these types of novels, but in this case it made me feel as if I was kept at arms length from Sally/Lucy. I just didn't connect to her character like I should. The book also took a long time to get to the crux of what was presently going on with her. You did need that back story, but it should have been woven into the present's problems much earlier. I also didn't buy that the people closest to her knew she lied about her past but did not press it. There is also a possible story there and I wish it was told.

I give this novel 3 stars. Despite the flaws I did enjoy Sally/Lucy's story. If some of this is corrected in the next novel, I for one will enjoy it. This series does have potential.
I received this book from Library Thing's Early Reviewers Program and the Publisher and no compensation was given.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

15 comments:

  1. Good honest review Melissa. I think connecting with the characters is a must. And looking at that cover I think YA too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! The synopsis is cool, mom a spy! But too bad is wasn't all it said it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I was quite surprised (disappointed even) by the cover. I saw the words Original Sin on my blog roll and thought how exciting only to discover that shocking pink cover. Still, a great review, you obviously didn't let the cover put you off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally Sin? I thought her old life was going to be as a stripper or call girl or something. If raising a child doesn't hone one's spy skills, I don't know what would. Keeping tabs on a teen certainly does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so confused by the title at first I though this was going to be the YA Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers:) Too bad Sally/Lucy isn't super easy to connect too based on the way the story is told, I'll be interested to see if that changes for you in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this was the YA book too! My mind is stuck in YA. Without connecting to the characters it's hard for me to enjoy it much too. I like spy novels but if it also takes so long to get to the point of the problem, probably not for me. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nic... thanks and I agree! :)

    @Savannah... Thanks I loved that she was a mom too. It does have potential.

    @...Petty... Hm... so what were you wanting? ;)

    @Stephanie... LOL! Perhaps that is planned as a sequel! Teen years: how to spy on your kids. ;D

    @Jenny... I think that was also in my mind w/ the pink cover. Probably why I kept thinking YA.

    @Alyssa... I kept thinking it was until I started reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure chick-lit books can have pink covers but the person there looks young too so yes I thought YA too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a wrong cover but a book I might like - thanks for the review! How to spy on your kids...well, first thing befriend them on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would have expected an older YA book too, based on the cover.

    Not sure if this one is for me, but I really enjoy old B&W spy movies. AMC is my favorite channel around the holidays. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. See I LOVE this cover... But I knew the book just wasn't for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. :( This is one of those I was on the fence about it--the premise looks cute but lately those just haven't been following through :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree it def. looks like a YA read. It sounds a bit off, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the sound of this book though I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't connect with the main character since that's usually essential for me. But perhaps I'll still give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover does make it seem like a YA novel. I love spy novels and movies. I am sorry to hear that you couldn't connect with the character. Overll it seems like a fun one time read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!