Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hereafter by Tara Hudson

HereafterDescription:
Can there truly be love after death? 
Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive. 
Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever. 
Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, Hereafter is a sensation you won't want to miss.
This was a curious book for me. I like ghost stories like this because I enjoy the world the author creates. The world is often open to various interpretations depending on where you hold your view of an afterlife. In this world we are as lost and confused as Amelia trying to figure out what is going on and who to trust. She happens upon an accident and she finds herself drawn to Joshua and helps save him. He can see and hear her and that begins her awakening to things around her. For the first time in years she can use her senses when inspired by Joshua.

The world built here by the author was quite interesting to me. You get hints that there is more than what Amelia experiences but she is reluctant to explore those possibilites. So, I'm left wanting to know more. There were so many questions to her afterlife I didn't expect to understand, but wanted just a bit more exploration. I was relieved when she finally sought answers to some of the questions plaguing her. However, we then become aware of things even more mysterious surrounding the world of the afterlife. I found that interesting.

In the end, I have to say I didn't want an HEA. *brings out smelling salts* So, let me say the ending is very unsatisfying to me. I'm hoping for a sequel to either give me the answers I seek or add to their story so the ending given is changed for Amelia and Joshua. I give this book 4 stars despite the ending.

I was given this book by HarperTeen and NetGalley and no compensation was given.
Other reviews:

18 comments:

  1. You did not want a HEA o_O Bu then again she is dead so how would it even work...interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my cupp of tea but thanks for the review. I love your animation with the duel - I might steal it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds chilling, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and this book just sounds to "scary" for me (not quite the right word but I can't think of another)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like ghost stories, but I have not heard great things about the book. Your 4 stars makes me more hopeful. I understand what you mean about not wanting a HEA. It may sound weird, but I do not like a HEA ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this one too Melissa! I thought the world was really intriguing, it seemed so simple but then kept getting more complex the more we read. I think there are more books coming though...so maybe there is no HEA just yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. The ending was so not cool. I want the next book so I can know what happen already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still not 100% convinced if I should read this one or not. I've too many mixed reviews I think.

    But now I'm curious. What could possibly happen to not make you want the HEA?

    Thanks a lot Melissa. Now I have to find out. Grrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this book. I'll hope there's a sequel too so that you can read it and tell me about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Blodeuedd... I knew that would shock you. You need the smelling salts? ;D

    @anachronist... I was hoping to find out the name of the animator. I'm still hoping someone will tell me. So, just make sure you give credit if I find out.

    @...Petty... Not too bad. It really wasn't too scary. :)

    @Felicia...Yea, I think I know what you mean. Not scary, but something else. Ugh... I'm a bad thesaurus. lol

    @Misha... I enjoyed it, but just not the ending. :P

    @Jenny... I hope so! I don't want my HEA! Man, that sounds funny as I type it! LOL

    @Lyssa... TY! :)

    @Savannah... Yes! We need to know! Need! ;)

    @Missie... Library borrow it. That way if you don't like it, no biggie, but you might wait until the next book is out. ;)

    @animewookie... Me too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Missie. There's something not grabbing me with this book. Maybe I'll grab it if I see it at the library. You've got me way curious about the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No HEA wanted? Now I'm curious! Not been fussed about this book so far but now I want to know what you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find the afterlife a fascinating topic anyhow, but now I'm curious as well as to how this book depicts it. If there's an HEA in this book, either Joshua dies or Amelia comes back from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no!!! Well then I will NOT read this book until I know if we get a sequel or not, because it will kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. While the review is fascinating as is the book synopsis this particular subject matter is not something I would normally choose as reading material... That being said if it turns out there will be more that dots all the i's and crosses all the t's so to speak then maybe it would be worth reading just to see what everyone else found interesting. Will wait and see and if later find a used copy give it a shot, I am nosy that way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it just this particular story that you didn't want the HEA for?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh shizzzz.... I have been looking forward to this book, but a kinda cruddy ending and more questions than answers? UGH! No thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!