Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballentine, Tee Morris


Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences NovelFrom Goodreads:
Evil is most assuredly afoot—and Britain’s fate rests in the hands of an alluring renegade . . . and a librarian.

These are dark days indeed in Victoria’s England. Londoners are vanishing, then reappearing, washing up as corpses on the banks of the Thames, drained of blood and bone. Yet the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences—the Crown’s clandestine organization whose bailiwick is the strange and unsettling—will not allow its agents to investigate. Fearless and exceedingly lovely Eliza D. Braun, however, with her bulletproof corset and a disturbing fondness for dynamite, refuses to let the matter rest . . . and she’s prepared to drag her timorous new partner, Wellington Books, along with her into the perilous fray.
 
For a malevolent brotherhood is operating in the deepening London shadows, intent upon the enslavement of all Britons. And Books and Braun—he with his encyclopedic brain and she with her remarkable devices—must get to the twisted roots of a most nefarious plot . . . or see England fall to the Phoenix!
 Looking for a steampunk novel? Nothing paranormal (not that it is normal, so relax) but just a good steampunk novel with all the contraptions and fun? Oh, do not look any further... you have found such a book! Oh and it isn't the world that is so good in this book, the main characters are wonderful as well.

The main characters are our intrepid duo, Agent Eliza D Brawn and "Welly" *snicker* Wellington Books the Librarian Archivist (if you please!) of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences. Of course these two were thrown in together and it was bliss hell. They were supposed to learn from one another as to the importance of the job to create a more cohesive unit. Both felt punished. However, coming across one of the unsolved cases inspires Miss Brawn to investigate which brings Welly into the picture. Of course Welly was looking to admonish Miss Brawn, but decides to help her instead.

The mystery they encounter is compelling and keeps you on your toes. What they find is quite the evil plot. One of the more evil plots I have encountered in a book in a long time. Their harrowing escape (?) is worthy of a thriller however throughout the book their bickering keeps things light enough you don't feel buried amongst the rubble. Ah... but to say more would spoil the adventure and I refused to do so. Wait for it... *most evil of laughs*

I give this book 5 stars. This is a steampunk novel in every sense. I love Eliza's wit and Welly's dry sense of humor. I expect more adventures from this duo in the future and I can't wait!
I received this book from NetGalley and Harper and no compensation was given. 


(you can also find the audio at the website)

Don't forget you can also win this book! Just go to the post HERE to enter!

21 comments:

  1. Actually I have been looking for Steampunk novels, since I haven't read any. The mystery and the characters both seem so compelling! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most evil of evil laughs hey? Well that definitely makes me want tp read this book. I love books that keep you guessing and having surprising twists. Great review again Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another great review for this book...I really must my hands a copy...hint, hint! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, oh I need this book..now! Arghh my bday and xmas is so far away. Maybe bf could buy a book for our anniversary ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I entered!!! I NEED TO win. That is all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just sounds like downright fun! I enjoy that in a book no matter what the genre....

    I love your *evil* snickers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also must buy/borrow this book pronto - thanks for making my life even more difficult with a splendid review of this one! I appreciate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I would be know a SP novel if it were to jump up and bite me - this sounds like a wonderful book to start with as it does sound funny. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great book! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a matter of fact, I am looking for such a novel. Gadgets are the new black!

    So are archivist now more sexy than librarians? Guess I'll have to read to find out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your 5 star rating along with a description of this book having the most evil plots you've read makes me want to run out and buy it immediately. Thanks so much for the recommendation Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh evil plot!!!Liking the sound of that. ;) And I'm glad that it's not normal, I mean normal is so blah! lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES!!! I totally agree!!! I LOVED this book and I want more Eliza and Mr Books LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, now you all can see why I loved this book. It was the total inspiration for this week!! I am going to do the Tales of the Archives audio stories so I can get more Books and Eliza! Oh, Melissa from My World...in Words and Pages has a few reviews of these audio stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He he he heeee....

    I told you you needed this one! And you are so going to enjoy the quick stories. :) The start with The masterly duo and go into stories with other characters. But there is ties to this book as well. I want some one to chat with on the podcasts, so you need to get caught up! lol. I need to get up on them myself these days. ;)

    Sooooo glad you loved it!!! YEahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and I wanted to say and forgot...

    Thank you for mentioning me here with the link to the reviews of the podcasts. :) You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just recently finished this book and loved it!! It was such a fun read and I can't wait for more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the dynamics between the two main characters, especially if it's as depicted in the trailer. I'm getting mighty excited for steampunk week! "Steampunky power!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds almost like X-Files meets steampunk. Love it! I mean, wit, dry humor...what's not to love? I'm excited to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was a really insightful and thoughtful review! I'm really starting to get into SP, too!

    Your love of SP is catching :o]

    I've got your SP LOGO posted on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book really does sound excellent. Something about the world being in the hands of a librarian that intrigues me. Sexy nerds are possibly one of my downfalls.

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!