Friday, April 25, 2014

Audio Review: Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson #5) by Darynda Jones


Series: Charley Davidson #5
Narrator: Lorelei King
Available Now
8hrs. 52min.
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Source: Audiobooks.com win
Never underestimate the power of a woman on a double espresso with a mocha latte chaser high. (T-shirt) 
Charley Davidson isn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper. She's more of a paranormal private eye/grim reaper extraordinaire. However, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door. To further complicate matters, Reyes is her main suspect in an arson case. Charley has vowed to stay away from him until she can find out the truth... but then dead women start appearing in her apartment, one after another, each lost, confused, and terrified beyond reason. 
When it becomes apparent that her own sister, Gemma, is the serial killer's next target Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes' help. Arsonist or not, he's the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return. Charley. All of her, body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay. 
Charley Davidson is at it again in Fifth Grave Past the Light, the sexy, suspenseful, and laugh-out-loud funny fifth installment of the New York Times best-selling series by Darynda Jones.
My thoughts:
Well, it's the 5th book and I'm still wanting more. If you enjoyed the series through the 4th book, the enjoyment will continue in the 5th. In this book not only does she solve multiple cold cases she also finds out more about herself in the process. Oh and if you liked Reyes in the last book (you may leave the room now because... none of that... he's MINE) you won't like him in this one. No, not at all... so leave him all to me. Okay, you know I'm lying, but geeze... how am I supposed to get you all away from him? :)

The humor is still spot on and I do know a bit of sign language (yes, some of the naughty words...) and yes... she is spot on with her descriptions of a some of those naughty signs. Um... where has she been researching this stuff? LOL The action is just as intense as the other stories and there is an ending that will leave your mouth hanging open. Not a cliffie, but will surprise you.

Hm... speaking of that ending... How dare she make me wait a month for the next book. It is going to be a hard wait. Oh and yes, I'm going to do it on audio as well. I just love Lorelei's voice in this series and I seriously recommend it on audio (in case you didn't see my other reviews of the audios of this series). It's a great series. Read it... better yet, listen to it!

...just an example of some of the humor. This one is from the Charley Davidson FB page. Seriously, all fans of this series should like that page. :)

26 comments:

  1. You are before me now, I have not have time to read this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this series out and couldn't get into it, so I'll definitely need to attempt this on audio as nearly everyone seems to have enjoyed it in some capacity. Plus, Lorelei King is such a fantastic narrator! I listened to her narrate the latest Mercy Thompson novel and thoroughly enjoyed that, so I'll hopefully find more of her audiobooks soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've loved this one since the first. I'd be curious to see if the audio changes your mind. So need to listen to the Mercy books after this series. :)

      Delete
  3. Haven't read this series either, but it sounds like fun! And I'm always on a lookout for great audiobooks. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Be the cock"

    *SNORT* I can just see someone muttering that to themselves while handling a gun:) I'm so far behind on this series it's ridiculous and I need to remedy that asap because....Reyes. I think maybe we can come to some kind of sharing agreement on him Melissa. Yes? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW I'd get you on that one. ;) As for sharing... no... MINE. LOL (yea right... like I would ever have that kind of power *snort*)

      Delete
  5. Glad the series is still going strong after five books. I was reading somewhere that like marriages a series can suffer the seven year/book itch. Let's hope this isn't the case with these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think it would, and I really love the characters and humor in this series.

      Delete
  6. A month isn't too long of a wait. Better than a year lol

    And I fall farther behind on this series….

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really do want to read these! I couldn't find the first book the other day, but hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This series just keeps getting better! I love Darynda for pulling it off, and Lorelei certainly gives it something special. She is Charley in my head, so much so that I find it hard to listen to her narrate anything else.
    I'm glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a series that always manages to crack me up too! I agree... Lorelei IS Charlie in my head as well. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks soooo much for you kind comments, guys! This is SUCH a fun series to record - hope you enjoy Sixth Grave next month! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're enjoying this past 5 books, then I'm really missing out on something! I've never tried an audiobook before but I'm adding this series to my growing list. Fab review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha..fantastic review Melissa! This was my favorite book thus far and some day I want to listen to all of the audios! That ending..OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are review twins. lol. Haha - love the text image! I'm considering listening to the 6th book on audio because I've been told it's a must.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this series, I'm always so happy to see it's the same for you. And now you're on t ime to read book 6, isn't it fabulous? I'm starting it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Lorelai King, she has the best voice for UF! I'm so glad you're enjoying this! I'm behind but hoping to get caught up soon. And that text exchange is hilarious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So yeah. I just liked the FB page *snickers* I am going to catch up on this series! SOON!! Thanks for the motivation ;)

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review Melissa, thanks! I so need to read book 4.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!