Monday, November 25, 2013

Crash into You (Pushing the Limits #3) by Katie McGarry

Series: Pushing the Limits #3
474p.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: 11/26/13
Source: Publisher and NetGalley for review
From acclaimed author Katie McGarry comes an explosive new tale of a good girl with a reckless streak, a street-smart guy with nothing to lose, and a romance forged in the fast lane

The girl with straight As, designer clothes and the perfect life-that's who people expect Rachel Young to be. So the private-school junior keeps secrets from her wealthy parents and overbearing brothers...and she's just added two more to the list. One involves racing strangers down dark country roads in her Mustang GT. The other? Seventeen-year-old Isaiah Walker-a guy she has no business even talking to. But when the foster kid with the tattoos and intense gray eyes comes to her rescue, she can't get him out of her mind.

Isaiah has secrets, too. About where he lives, and how he really feels about Rachel. The last thing he needs is to get tangled up with a rich girl who wants to slum it on the south side for kicks-no matter how angelic she might look.

But when their shared love of street racing puts both their lives in jeopardy, they have six weeks to come up with a way out. Six weeks to discover just how far they'll go to save each other.
My thoughts:
 This is the book I was waiting on. Ever since we met Isaiah in the first book I have wanted to know this character. He was interesting and you couldn't help feel for someone who had to deal with unrequited love. Your heart just broke for the guy.

Isaiah is someone who has not had a generous life. Yet, he finds the good in it and holds onto that with a fierce edge. He has a f.u. attitude which gives him space to do what he needs to do to make his life better. It also makes him quite lonely. He has a hard time trusting others, but when he does he is loyal to a fault. He also has narrow vision and has a hard time seeing the bigger picture. That makes sense if your main concern is survival from a very young age.

The other POV is Rachel. A girl who has panic attacks and the world on her shoulders. I wanted to really like her family, but as caring as they are they are also extremely selfish and uses Rachel for their own goals... all the while claiming they are protecting her from some unnamed threat. The reasons for her dysfunctional family seemed contrived, but I've seen people who do nothing but tiptoe around the elephant in the room. I did feel for Rachel, but I couldn't stand her family.

These two come together over cars and a threat from a character who rules a good portion of the streets. Isaiah tries to help Rachel out of her situation and in the mist of it all, they fall hard for each other.  I also admit that throughout most of the book I was worried that the author had written herself into a hole so deep that nothing could save it. However, she seemed to pull it off for me. As you might guess from the other books in this series, there is an HEA, but it does have a twist at the end. One that made me cuss at the book and then smile. It was a cheestastic ending, but what can I say... call me a mouse. :)

I give this book 4 stars. I really have enjoyed this series and I can't wait for the next installment. The ending is cheesy as I stated above, but if you like those kind of things and just want to be entertained, you will enjoy the book as well.

22 comments:

  1. Hey mouse! <3 I was almost bitterly disappointed in this (harsh words, I know) so it's good to see that you had a bit more luck with it. Something about McGarry's characters just doesn't work for me. Ah, well, can't win them all.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for being your usual funny self, especially on Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeak*! Now gimmie the cheese! :D

      I don't take YA too seriously so maybe that I why I liked it more? Hm... donno, but so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. It's definitely a cheesy ending, no doubt, and I was disappointed by the inclusion of too many events, like Isaiah's mother, that went unexplored. I'm glad you enjoyed this installment, though, Melissa! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked the mother angle explored as well mostly because it seemed important and it was just glossed over. Still, got my HEA. :D

      Delete
  3. Yes, it's cheesy and the drama is over the top (her family's rich -- just ask for the darned money, already!) but I enjoyed it. Isaiah, FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a cheestastic ending, but what can I say... call me a mouse. ..I love it and yes we loved it anyway..*squeak-squeak* I finally got you added to my Blogs I Stalk page..sorry it took me so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely hated Rachel's family too Melissa! Her brothers grew on me because they clearly meant well even if they were clueless as to how their actions were hurting Rachel, but her parents? Grrrrrrr. It seemed like they wouldn't care even if they knew! I'm excited to see more of them in West's book though, I'm not ready to leave them yet. I love hating them too much:) Glad you enjoyed this book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her twin grew on me, the others still needed a swift kick in the hiney even if their motives were good. You know... the road to you know where... :) I want Isaiah's bestie next, but I will take West. :)

      Delete
  6. Liked this one too and can't wait to read more from Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow everyone is reading this one today

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great you enjoyed this one! I still need to read these books. I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll try to start this series, I keep hearing great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy these. :) You read more contemp than I do.

      Delete
  10. It seems that everyone is reading this book. I loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really curious about the ending. I want to read Isaiah's story too. I've only read the first so far so I need to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you liked this one too! I was dying to see Isaiah's story and I was really happy with the way it turned out. I totally get what you're saying about the cheese though. :-) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought this book was okay and I was glad that Isaiah gets his own story but my fave is still DYT-I didn't like Isaiah's protectiveness or Rachel's meekness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!