Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1) by James Patterson

In James Patterson's blockbuster series, fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel, the youngest member of the flock, is kidnapped and taken back to the "School" where she and the others were experimented on by a crew of wack jobs. Her friends brave a journey to blazing hot Death Valley, CA, to save Angel, but soon enough, they find themselves in yet another nightmare--this one involving fighting off the half-human, half-wolf "Erasers" in New York City. Whether in the treetops of Central Park or in the bowels of the Manhattan subway system, Max and her adopted family take the ride of their lives. Along the way Max discovers from her old friend and father-figure Jeb--now her betrayed and greatest enemy--that her purpose is save the world--but can she?
This is a fun easy read that those young MG readers could appreciate as well as adults who just like a good adventure. In some ways the set up in this story reminded me of Dark Angel in where there are kids who "belong" to a lab and then fight their way to freedom and staying that way. After that, the resemblance ends. You then have a unique telling of mutants learning to navigate the world which they know won't accept them.

The adventure these kids have is quite intense and you can't wait to find out all of the answers to the questions that form as they fight to save one of their own. Fight to save Angel, the littlest from a fate worse than death. Along the way they learn more about the world than they ever thought possible and find some unlikely help along the way. However, even while on the hot trail of learning more about their past and what they were told was true or not, they find that they can't trust anything or anyone outside of the flock.

Although I liked all the main characters, my biggest complaint about this book is that it is hard to really connect on a deep level to the kids. It makes sense because their whole life is crises management and so little time is left for really knowing who they truly are. However, since this is only one book in a series, I feel that the connection will come and probably sooner than later. You can see things falling in place within this book for that to happen.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I think it is a fast and fun book for the beginning to this series. I recommend it to those that enjoy UF and YA.
I received this book from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.
You can also follow the story on-line!
Check out Max's blog at:

Follow Max on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/max_flock


Btw, this book also fulfills the requirements for:

18 comments:

  1. And the first in the series too, what's happening? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so familiar, I'm sure Niece #2 was talking about it but I don't recognise the cover - perhaps it has a different one here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has gone though many cover transformations... so most likely.

      Delete
  3. I want to start this series but I am unsure if I will like it. Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure how I feel about him delving into the YA world. Then again he doesn't really write his own stuff anymore so maybe I shouldn't over think it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, set in New York City? Something about MG adventures set in this city automatically seem really thrilling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could get excited about James Patterson's writing. It isn't bad by any means but just utilitarian, it gets the job done with no frills. Do you find that the case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that could explain why I had trouble connecting. It was still an interesting premise. But yea.. it does seem a bit utilitarian.

      Delete
  7. Ya is fun, but UF..not sure. :) I have heard lots of things about James Patterson, but never got the excitement to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard similar sentiments about this book and not being able to connect to the characters. My nieces keep telling me I have to read it, but I haven't been intrigued. I think when I hit a MG mood I'll pick this one up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read an adult book by James Patterson with Maximum as teh main character - are they the same series or is the name just transferred to a new style. I think the adult book was called something like when the wind blows... hmm.. all sounds very familar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even if the story is meant to be nonstop action, you still got to pull back a bit so readers can get to know the characters and connect with them. Bum deal that that wasn't really the case here. But I loved Dark Angel, so I still might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly what you mean about connecting to the characters with this one. I read the first three books and enjoyed them to some extent, but I had similar character issues. I also read the fourth book, but since that one ended up being a one star for me, I quit after that.

    Also...Dark Angel! Hehehe. I loved that show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a new one for me. Sounds like a decent read. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. aaah I wrote a comment and it's not here... So again... I love the cover ans Dark angel, what a nice memory! I hope you'll connect in the second book, I understand your problem. Thanks for the discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a cute series. Nothing amazing or anything but cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been considering getting this book for my son but I think he might be too young for it (he's 11). It sounds like it might get pretty dark. I guess I should try it myself first and then decide.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!