Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Deadly Descendant (Nikki Glass #2) by Jenna Black

As a living descendant of Artemis the Huntress, private investigator Nikki Glass knows how to track someone down. But when an Oracle shows up, warning the descendants about wild dog attacks in Washington D.C., Nikki is afraid it might be a trap. The Olympians believe the “dogs” are jackals, controlled by a blood-crazed descendant of the Egyptian death-god Anubis. Whatever. . . . If Nikki hopes to muzzle Dogboy, she’s got to catch him in the act. But when she stakes out a local cemetery, she ends up face-to-snout with a snarling pack of shadow-jackals whose bite is worse than their bark. These hellhounds are deadly—even for an immortal like Nikki. “Dog” spelled backwards may be “god,” but that won’t stop Nikki from teaching these old gods some new tricks. Like playing dead.

You don't know how thrilled I was when I found this in my mailbox for review. I enjoyed the first book, Dark Descendant and couldn't wait until this book which has come to us a year later.

I admit I had a bit of trouble getting into this book. I think it was because I had to go back and remember what happened. Once I did, the book took off for me. I also think this is an indicator that you should read these in order even though the book does give you hints of what happened before. I think it will just make the story flow better for you.

You have the same great action that you had in the first book and we are back with Nikki still dealing with the outcome of the first book. In fact we find ourselves not long after the end of the first book. There is a new threat and it comes in a crazy descendent of Anubis. Death gods... hard to deal with and this one is deadly to even the Liberati who normally can only be killed by a human descendant. There is also a mystery as to what and why he has started to attack and even what to do with him when he is caught.

Ah but is there any romance? We got a hint that it may possibly come as the series progresses. I won't say what happens, but I will say this: *shakes fist at Jenna Black* NOoooOOOoo! How could you? It's not good enough... I want more!! Ms. Black will understand my ranting. ;)

I give this book 4 stars. It is a fun UF and those that enjoy UF will enjoy this series. I just want that next book... like NOW! ;)
I received this book from Pocket books and no compensation for my review was given.

14 comments:

  1. Ok - you've added another UF series to my wishlist! Do you know how many series I need to read that I haven't started yet??!! How could you do this to me?? ;-)

    Still, it's not as if I'm complaining too much... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start this series, I keep seeing this book everywhere and I haven't ever read the first one... After reading the Morgan series I need to try this one, plus it sounds amazing! thanks for reminding me this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so many series, I've promised myself not to start reading any more of them but sometimes the temptation is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, magic and mythology?! I think I need to check this series out. I don't mind the slow burning romance. It usually pays off in the long run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So would I like this series? My main problems with UF are triangles (well I have that problem with any genre) and annoying female leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No △s! And she isn't annoying. :) So you should be safe with this one. ;)

      Delete
  6. Oooo a potential romance that leaves you ranting? Sounds like something I need to read so I can join in the ranting fun! I love a romantic thread in my stories so it's a bit disappointing that as of book 2 there's only the hint of romance, but then again this is UF and and not PNR so I need to be patient:) Adding this series to the list Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of you for reading BOTH books in the series!!!! Lol this is totally a series I want to read! Although I'm completely discrimitory toward Artemis AND her descendants (it's Sherrilyn Kenyon's fault, I tell you!) so l'll have to try to overcome THAT! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skimming a bit since I have not read book 1 but after this I do want to :D
    Oh there are so many books I want

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why I usually stay away from UF, no romance. Dooooood, I need my swoon fix and I'm not ashamed to admit it. LOL

    I'm not sure this is one for me, but that cover has me feeling a little green. I wish I looked that good in a low cut top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need a good UF book to get my mind spinning! Love the cover and the synopsis. And I agree with Missie, I need me some good action and not just fluffy stuff all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! A book/series/author in which you say you want to read the books in order, and shack your fist at! Sounds amazing! :D I do want to get to this series one of these days. :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the third raving review I have seen this week. I need to buy this series, but sadly the discount at Bookdepo has ended, so it will have to wait till the next action.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn, I wish I could wear that outfit and look like that! These UF books always have characters that look like that on the front. Makes me jealous! I think I like the sound of the mythology in this series. I'm going to eventually get to the library and check it out (pun totally intended)!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!