Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Color Me Grey by J.C. Phelps

Color Me Grey (Book One of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles)From Goodreads:
Meet Alexis Stanton, a 5' 4" petite young woman with a yen for adventure. She grew up as a tomboy wishing she could have all the adventures boys could have. She has since decided that being a boy instead of a girl has its advantages, but being a woman is much better. Raised in a family with money, she was able to pick and choose her education. She had been schooled in everything from being a lady to courses with Special Forces instructors. Her desire for adventure and her boredom with her current employment and a strange 'Help Wanted' ad causes her to quit. She finds that job she could 'just die for'... and it looks like she just might!
This book is told entirely from Alexis's POV. And I have to admit at first it actually buffered me from the character of Alex. As she interacted with her friend (namely Colin) and started her adventure with a new possible job, the buffer disappeared. That's when I really got into the character of Alex. I then was able to enjoy the kick-ass stance of a 5'4"(1.62 meters) woman who is as tough as the boys and sometimes even better. She has a lot to learn, but shows that she is up to the task no matter what is thrown at her. It also makes sense as to why Alex loves adventure. Both her parents love it too. Even if her mother does not go adventuring anymore, she still is a mother that craved for it once but is having fun exploring other areas of life.

This book is a fast paced adventure and I think you hardly get much of a breather once the adventure truly starts. My only complaint other than the buffer (which can happen with a strictly first person POV) is a few editing errors that also occurred at the beginning of the book. They were minor and can quickly and easily be fixed. I will also say, on a total personal level, I had problems with the hunting scene (but I'm such a softie for Bambi's dad) but getting myself out of the way, I think it was told well. With those minor complaints aside, this is one fun adventure. I give this book 3 1/2  stars and I think that the next two adventures in this series are going to get even better and more fun filled than it's introduction.

The ebook Color Me Grey (Book One of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles) is only $.99 at Amazon! The next books are:
Shades of Grey (Book Two of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles) and
Reflections of Grey (Book Three of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles) both ebooks for $2.99
You can also find them on smashwords.com

I was given this book by the author and no compensation for my review was given.

7 comments:

  1. Hm, never know how much inches is, does not sound that short...ok gotta go google

    ReplyDelete
  2. I googled it for ya and put it next to the ft/inches. :)

    What can I say? Darn Americans! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun read - I like a strong heroine in my books. Will have a look for it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love short yet adventurous, kickass heroines so I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm... I'm not sure what is going on here, but I'd be up to finding out. LOL

    Sounds like a good adventure mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. :) New one for me. I think sometimes I get in the way of some of my reads scenes too. ;)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!