Monday, August 8, 2011

Voice by Joseph Garraty

VoiceDescription:
Local rock band Ragman is finally taking off. Stephanie Case's flamboyant performances and scorching guitar work have started attracting crowds, and singer John Tsiboukas--aka Johnny Tango--is delivering the best performances of his life. After months of playing to dead rooms, it looks like success is at hand.

The thing is, there's something wrong with Johnny's voice. Until just a few weeks ago, he couldn't hit the right pitch if you painted a target on it and let him stand real close. Now he sounds amazing. . . and strange things happen every time he sings. Lights burn out. Whole rooms become cold and hushed. People get violent.

For Johnny and Case, Ragman is a ticket out of a life of meaningless, dead-end jobs and one lousy gig after another, but as the weirdness surrounding Johnny begins to turn into outright nightmare, they find that the price of stardom might be higher than either of them could ever have imagined.
Ever hear the story about Robert Johnson? The legendary blues guitarist and singer in which a story that has become legend sold his soul to the devil to become the best in the world? Not only does this story reference that story but follows the beginnings of the legend. With the prologue we also know what is going to happen in the end, but even with these two known facts, it does not distract from the enjoyment of the book.

Johnny (formerly known as "John") wants fame and fortune and has chosen the medium of singing to gain it even though he does not put the work into his craft. His idea stemmed from his brother who is a drummer and loves music. His brother did put in the work and is a great drummer but his main goal is music. In order to gain the fame, Johnny puts together a great band, but the weak link is his voice. He finds a strange man who says he knows how to gain his fame. He ends up at a Robert Johnson crossroads and is told he can now sing. However, has he gained anything else?

We follow the band and Johnny to the inevitable conclusion, but the horror is what comes along the way and the unexpected parts in the end. What these parts are, I will not divulge... *evil laugh* (which is appropriate in this case) but I will say that if you are looking for a horror rock and roll book, you have found it.

I give this book 4 stars. Only thing missing is the duel at the end, but it isn't exactly the devil Johnny meets. Heh... that will have to suffice as the only tidbit I will reveal. ;)
I received this book from the author and no compensation was given.

14 comments:

  1. I love stories about music so this definitely sounds interesting. Great review again *evil laugh* Mel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I was all nope, but when I heard the story then yes :) Might have been supernatural to thank for it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of a horror rock and roll book before, sounds awesome for the month of October. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock 'n' roll horror? Brilliant.
    A scary cover for what sounds like a great read, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock and roll horror sounds really nice. Thanks for your evil laugh...I mean evil review...I mean...ok, you know what I mean. Anyway thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Horror rock and roll? What an interesting genre:):) I thought that cover looked a little creepy for just a music story! So who does Johnny meet if not the devil?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nic... That is why I picked it up. *evil laugh* ;D

    @Blodeuedd... LOL I can see that. :)

    @Nina... True! That would work in Oct.

    @...Petty... Oh, I didn't know you liked horror! :)

    @anachronist... I do? ;) LOL At least it isn't a romance for you. :)

    @Jenny... New genre! lol Oh, and I'm not telling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not really into stories about music, but lately I have seen lots of books about music that I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I just got back from reading the whole Robert Johnson bio. Thanks for linking it. So creepy!

    This story sounds very good, but I probably couldn't read it without constantly looking over my shoulder.

    And Mel, Please don't evil laugh in my face when you have successfully scared the wits out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Savannah... I for one hope they continue. Hope you find one that you like!

    @Missie...BOO! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link about Robert Johnson - my first acquaintance with this musician!

    But isn't de rigueur for every rock and roll star sell their soul to the devil for fame and fortune???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, now I must check out this link!!! But if I go to the link first I will no doubt forget to come back and tell you that I sooo want to read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a neat rock star book. :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music is something I don't find too often in my reads. I def want to try this! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!