Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar ChildrenDescription:
A mysterious island. 
An abandoned orphanage. 
A strange collection of very curious photographs. 
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
I admit, I was wanting this book since I read the title. Oh this is so me! I need it! And then a magical thing happened... I won it on Goodreads First Reads program! Squee! Oh I couldn't wait to get to it, but then the evil review pile appeared. It made me wait to pick up this wonderous book. Finally, one day the opportunity appeared! Did I live happily ever after. Well, no, but then this was only a reading adventure...

I really enjoyed reading this book. I sped through it quite quickly. It was a magical type of faerie tale that weaves through vintage photos to tell this story. The photos made it seem more magical and fun and made the world created just a little bit more convincing. I found this such a great creative way to come to a tale and was perfect for kids of all ages.

I don't want to get too far into the book or I fear I may spoil something. I'll leave the telling to the trailer which the author produced. It sets it up nicer than I would have in words. I give this book 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone, YA or adult, who loves an unusual adventure. Oh and yes, there will be a sequel. That is a good thing since the ending was set up for one. *whew!*
I was given this book by the publisher and Goodreads First Reads Program and no compensation was given.

18 comments:

  1. This books cover and that trailer totally makes you want to read it. So lucky you won it on good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book floating around the blogosphere for awhile, but yours is the first review I've actually read - and I totally want to read this now! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this one. Seems like the right kind of scary story. If there is a sequel, I might wait a bit, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See? I don't mind a book that has a sequel but I don't like it when I feel set up for one. I like a book to have closure although one can see there's more coming on the horizon. Years before Harry Potter, I suffered through waiting and waiting for one trilogy to come to an end with each book ending in a cliff-hanger until the third. And then years later the author came out with a fourth book.

    I had started reading the Robert Jordan books because I thought they were closer to being finished but then I looked at the expected publishing timeline and stopped reading, prepared to wait until next year when the final book will finally be published and I can start from book book one and read through until I can pick up where I left off.

    I loved The Hunger Games and liked Catching Fire slightly less for that cliff-hanger issue. I simply lack the patience. And I'm older. I may not live long enough for an author to finally finish publishing the books.

    But I admit, this looks interesting. I'll just wait until the final book is released. Patience is a virtue, I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An unusual adventure sounds interesting. Also I like that it has photographs in it. I think it adds charm. Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with Satia---I am not a fan of the cliffy's :) I don't mind a setup for a sequel but do not MAKE me read the next one LOL (why? because it works on me and my pocketbook hates me for it)!

    This was one I passed on and now I am questioning that decision---DANGIT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for you, congrats on your win! I love that this book includes photographs along with the story, that adds such a fun and different element to the mix. Cliffhangers usually drive me crazy, but I've kind of just come to expect them:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh you won over at GD :D Yay.

    I am happy to see that you enjoyed it too. I just think the title is so good

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book too. The world was just so strange and haunting. So glad you won a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Great review! I have been wanting to read this book. Saw some mixed reviews about it. Still want to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I know that this would be a book for you? I've glanced through it at a bookstore and the pictures are quite remarkable.

    Awesome trailer. Congrats on winning it. I'm glad you found some enjoyment out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I want, I want! I just keep hearing that it's so, so awesome. I need to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Jessica... Oh I was enthralled by the title! LOL

    @Belle... Thx! <3!

    @anachronist... It isn't scary, but yes... it is odd. :)

    @Satia...It had enough closure that I didn't consider it a cliffie, but yet enough open that made you want the next book. I guess I would consider this one just shy of a cliffie. However, I agree with you about the cliffie. I hate them with a passion. Books really need to stop with the cliffies! Sing it sista! :D

    @Nic...Yes, the pics really did add the charm!

    @Felicia... Oh I'm with both of you. Death to cliffies! I also agree with your reasons. So true!

    @Jenny...Cliffies drive me crazy. Now you know my excuse for why I'm this crazy... ;)

    @Blodeuedd... I know... I just love that title. Perhaps since I'm odd, but not as fun odd as those kids. :)

    @Stephanie... I love the strange and haunting. :)

    @Savannah...TY! I think you'd enjoy it. It is a fun book.

    @Sonia... Oh I hope you get it!

    @Missie... *giggles* They are supposed to all be found photos that weren't manipulated for the book.

    @Nina... Oh I really think you'd love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're so lucky that you won a copy of this book. While it's creepier than the kind of books I normally read I've been hearing such great things about it that I really want to read it myself. My digital library has a copy but I think this is one of those books that you need in real, book format. So I'm going to hold out for that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this book. It was different and creepy and a bit twisted and I never knew exactly what was going to happen next. It was very surprising. I am very excited for the sequel!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely want to read this sucker. I am way intrigued! And pictures too? WIN!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!