Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

The Near WitchDescription:
The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children. 
If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.  
And there are no strangers in the town of Near. 
These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life. 
But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true. 
The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him. 
As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy. 
Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.
This is one of those stories that take a hold of you and don't quite want to let go. I really enjoyed my ride into Near, a small town on the moors that do not care for things that cause fear. Long ago there was a witch accused of a heinous crime and was punished. Now the town is under a revengeful spell that coincides with an appearance of a stranger who is, well... quite strange. When the children of Near start to disappear and no trace can be found, frustrated town folk and their leaders turn their eyes to the stranger and decide he is to blame. So, this story is also one about fear and blame and whether you allow it to determine if that is more important than bringing the children home safe.

Lexi is not like your normal town girls. She is her father's daughter. He taught her things like tracking and house hold chores normally done by males because he didn't want his daughter put in a box and reliant on others because she was "just" a female. She decides she can help track the children and find out what happened to them. And because of her father, she is not rulled by fear and more by curiosity as she meets and gets to know the stranger. Now, all she has to do is solve the mystery, put things to right and convince a village to accept those that cause fear in others. No problem. 

Hm... does she do it? Did she trust the right person? Is the village doomed to their fear? Is Lexi alone or does anyone else in the town trust her? Well... *evil laugh* (that one was for you, Nic!) I'm not going to tell you! I will tell you that I give this book 4 stars. I recommend this one for the YA crowd. It isn't risqué for the younger YA kidlets but does have some scary parts for those that are real young. 
I received this book from NetGalley and Hyperion Books for review and no compensation was given.

15 comments:

  1. Damn that evil laugh! Next review of mine I am including one just for you even if there is no need for one!

    I have this on my kindle, I am pretty sure I will love it. I just need to hurry up and read faster.

    Awesome review *evil laugh*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to get a copy for a friend of mine's 14 year old. She loves the scary and is always asking me to recommend something. I keep telling her I am a scardy cat--I like my monsters fluffy with hard edges LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Nic on your evil laughs! I'm gonna have to try to work one in just for you because you have too much power over them. I have to try to steal some of it. ;)

    A strange stranger, eh. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for this one! I love the sound of the town of Near and I think Lexi sounds like a strong protagonist. You and your evil laughs are going to kill me, must read this book now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nic... Oh I think you will like it and I'm looking forward to your evil laugh! ;D

    @Felicia... Oh she might like this one. There was a couple of scenes that are scary. :) Btw, I like fluffy hard edged monsters too. ;)

    @Missie... Hm... but are you evil enough? ;)

    @Jenny...I hope you enjoy this one! *evil laugh* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh scary! Lol, ok perhaps I would not be scared now but I would sure have liked to be when I was younger

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should trademark that **evil laugh** of yours, Melissa. Many imitators...one original.

    Every time I read the synopsis of this book I keep thinking of the Tooth Fairy movie - never saw it but gives me chills whenever I remember it.

    I like how Lexi sounds - self-reliant and brave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored this book and gave it 4 stars as well. Lexi was a wonderful protagonist who could stand up for herself. =) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still toward the beginning of this one, but really liking it so far. I'm very curious about the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eep. You do know my weekly visits to the book store has ended. Right?!? My local Borders I went to on lunch once a week is closed. What am I going to do about all these books you are adding to my Want list!?!?!?!

    Lol! Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, this sounds like an interesting book. Though it might be a little too spooky for me (I'm a real wimp when it comes to anything scary).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Read this book too and loved it! Totally agree that this book took a hold of me. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I CANNOT wait to read this one! It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh! What a teaser-ish review! I got this book on NetGalley way back when, but since I hate reading books on my computer (darn you Hyperion for not making books available on Kindle!) I haven't yet... I really must rectify that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!