Friday, October 14, 2011

DNF

*sigh* Recently I had a couple of books that were DNFs for me. Normally, I wouldn't review those, but since I did agree to review, I shall give my reasons for not completing the book. You may enjoy it, but these books were just not for me. Well, it is a good thing we don't all like everything. There would be nothing to aspire to otherwise... nor would there be individual tastes. :)


Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Description:
A modern retelling of the German fairy tale "Tristan and Isolde," Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.
I love the cover. It is what drew me in. Plus, I think I've enjoyed the variations of Tristan and Isolde more than I did Romeo and Juliet (sorry, Will...). So, I was excited to get to read this one. Well, the book opens up into a world I didn't expect. No problems, but it seemed to take off as if we already knew these characters. I mean that usually isn't a problem for me... *cough*readsinthemiddleofaseries*cough* but I just couldn't connect to the main character Izzie even after a few chapters. She was too immature and really got on my nerves. Okay, I'm all for character growth, so I just read on. She kept making one bad move after another until I could scream. As soon as her boyfriend, Mark, who was level headed and sweet started doing the whiney dance, I couldn't take it. I don't like my characters to de-evolve! I think I'd be fine with it if the other characters grew even when others might have "shown their true colors" or something like that, but it really didn't seem to move in that direction. So, I looked at my review tbr and decided it wasn't for me.

Now, I may have missed out on some great growth and conclusions as to why it happened, but I personally just needed a bit of it earlier in the story. Who knows, you may see something within the book  that just didn't gel with me. I may pick this one up as a library read later to see, but right now it was a dnf for me.

Deviant by Adrian McKinty

Description:
Danny Lopez is new in town. He made a mistake back home in Las Vegas, and now he has landed at an experimental school in Colorado for “tough cases.” At the Cobalt Charter School, everything is scripted—what the teachers say, what the students reply—and no other speaking is allowed. This supercontrolled environment gives kids a second chance to make something of themselves. But with few freedoms, the students become sitting ducks for a killer determined to “clean up” Colorado Springs.
Set in CO and it sounds creepy. Hey! No problem! Let me read! *sigh* Well, the first chapter was called Cat Killer. Which made me pause. I have a problem with any book that "shows" cruelty like that. If it was in the past... okay, might be central to the story, but don't make me "watch". Spoiler altert (for those like me who want to know what happens if they read it). The cat got away. AND it got away in such an entertaining way! So, I thought no probs, I can read this one. End spoiler alert!

Anyhoo... it started talking about the setting. I have family all over CO so I know the setting well. Cobalt was a fictional place so no problem, but what happened was that the actual town moved! I know the area he described but it changed from going north of CO Springs to the west to the southwest. Uh, what???? Okay, I know that most people wouldn't be bothered like that but sheesh... google maps, man! But what sealed the deal for me was the lingo. The locals called Colorado Springs, "The Springs" constantly. LOCALS! Uh, it's just "Springs" thankyouverymuch! It was to the point I almost threw the book. I even stopped and looked to see if the author spent time in CO at all. AH HAH! He did, but it was in Denver. There is a separation between north/south (and sometimes west) CO. In a way they are quite different regions. It actually made sense to me. Yes, that could be forgivable, but it is harder to forgive the map thing.

So, am I nit picking at what may be a great story? Possibly. I take full responsibility for this DNF. I just knew I couldn't get past these glaring mistakes. I really couldn't get past the moving town. It is totally my fault and I knew I couldn't judge the rest of the story based on my own prejudices that I have revealed.
I received both eARCs through NetGalley and no compensation for my review was received.

23 comments:

  1. So sad about Tris and Izzie. That cover totally pulled me in. I agree, de-volving and whiney characters equals BAD.

    On Deviant, you may be nitpicking but anything that takes you out of the story is completely legit.

    Here's hoping your next books are a better reading fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped reading Tris and Izzie about three pages in when she said something along the lines of "I'm queen of this school because so-and-so is my boyfriend, so you have to listen to me."

    Excuse me?

    Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some books are not worth the paper they were printed on. Let's hope there will be less of them for you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so refreshing to see someone who has the courage to not finish a book. Some people think that not finishing a book lacks discipline or an inability to make a commitment. Personally, I think it takes a lot more power of conviction to choose not to commit to something that simply isn't worth the bother.

    So kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of people have read Tris and Izzie and thought it totally sucked. Oh no! I really love the cover and the story of Tristan and Isolde is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way about Deviant. i know quite a few people who DNFed the book. I stuck through Tris and Izzie, bit I was disappointed too. I was looking for a more romance, not magic. *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'd also be put off a book with a chapter heading of cat killer.

    Amazing the power of a good book cover, I admit that I found both of these covers appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DNFs happen to us all :( Though you were very fair in what made you not finish! Heck I had a DNF on a book most people are giving 4 and 5 to :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep thinking whether I should request a copy of Triz and Izzie to be swayed against last minute by intuition. I'm glad to see my intuition was right! But sorry you had to be my guinea pig :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. New follower hoping you will follow me back at http://www.beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com thks in advance x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate when I have a DNF book that everyone seemed to love. Then I think....is it me??? Thanks for sharing your DNF.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard many good things about Tris & Izzie, so I'm keeping that one away from me. Far away.

    And the local thing is always annoying. I hate it in books, movies, or TV. If you're going to try and get away with it, at least do your research!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, you are allowed to nitpick ;) Especially since you know it

    Dnfs makes me so sad :( Sorry that they did not work for ya

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to confess that when I see the cover of the first one I thought that it wasn't a book for me... sorry it didn't work for you either... I didn't know the second one but it sounds quite weird...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! I also don't always finish a book, but so far, have not reviewed one of those. Perhaps the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate not finishing a book but life is far too short and tbr piles far too big to force yourself to finish a book that annoys you! Quite glad that neither of these books are in my TBR pile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Alyssa... LOL Yes, I know I was nitpicking. :D Thanks tho! :)

    @Bekka... LOL

    @Anachronist... I hope so as well. :)

    @Satia... I suppose that is true in my case. I will usually finish a book despite me not liking it. :)

    @Nina... I've seen a few of those, but sometimes it can grab you in a way that it didn't others. It didn't happen that way for me.

    @Savannah... I was also thinking more romance.

    @...Petty... read the spoiler, you will like that. :) I also liked both covers.

    @Felicia... *sigh* I know I kind of went off on the second but it did bug me that much. :)

    @Stephanie... No probs. :) Aren't we each other's rodent? LOL

    @Beck... will check out your blog!

    @Rain...I always think it's me... LOL

    @Logan... I can ignore some things, but this one was so glaring and repetitive.

    @Blodeuedd... LOL Thanks! :) Yes, they also make me sad.

    @Melliane...LOL I usually like weird, but just couldn't handle the nitpicks. :)

    @Aurian... I usually don't if I haven't agreed to do so somehow.

    @Mel... True. :) Why am I thinking I'm making you happier with my bad reviews? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dude! Tris & Izzie was a DNF for me too! I felt wicked bad about it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't say I'm surprised by Tris & Izzie. Every review for it seems to say the same thing.

    And what? Cruelty to animals and a sudden change in location. No, NO, no!

    Both are definitely not for me, and I'm thankful to you for letting me know to avoid these.

    Happy Weekend, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I personally find DNF reviews more helpful than other reviews lol.

    omg I had to read the spoiler about the cat :3 meow

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm one of those people who cannot finish a book. I suffer through thinking the next page will be better, then I get to the end and throw it across the room. (or if its on my kindle I lightly toss it onto the pillows on my bed and walk away)
    I think I'm just a glutton for punishment. But thanks for being honest with the review and the fact that both books were DNF's. I can't stand when a character in a book annoys me and I can't stand when people do anything to cats.
    I might still pick up Tris and Izzie. Mainly cause my daughter still wants to read it and I always end up reading whatever she does. But Deviant is definitely out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I may have missed out on some great growth and conclusions as to why it happened

    Nope you didn't! It was basically terrible throughout IMO... Silly cover that was so pretty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing why these were DNF books for you, as most people just set a book aside and never explain why. There are too many other books out there to waste time on a bad one. Will give these both a pass, as the moving town would bug me too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!