Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blood and Other Cravings: Anthology edited by Ellen Datlow

Description:
When we think of vampires, instantly the image arises: fangs sunk deep into the throat of the victim. But bloodsucking is merely one form of vampirism. For this brilliantly original anthology, Ellen Datlow has commissioned stories from many of the most powerfully dark voices in contemporary horror, who conjure tales of vampirism that will chill readers to the marrow. 
In addition to the traditional fanged vampires, Datlow presents stories about the leeching of emotion, the draining of the soul, and other dark deeds of predation and exploitation, infestation, and evisceration…tales of life essence, literal or metaphorical, stolen. 
Seventeen stories, by such award-winning authors as Elizabeth Bear, Richard Bowes, Kathe Koja, Margo Lanagan, Carol Emshwiller, and Lisa Tuttle will petrify readers. With dark tales by Laird Barron, Barry Malzberg and Bill Pronzini, Kaaron Warren, and other powerful voices, this anthology will redefine the terror of vampires and vampirism.
Tired of the HEA? Sick of things that just easily work out for the characters? Will one more story where everything is just fixed in the end wanting to make you scream? Well, if you are feeling this way and you are looking for a dark read that sometimes makes you think, "wait... what?" well, look no further. Here is your book!

Am I kidding? Heh. No. As some of you know... I enjoy my HEA. I crave it. However, not one of these stories has an HEA. Not really even and HEA of sorts. In fact the best you get is people resolved to what they know is going to happen to them. However, I did not end up hating the stories. They were creative and different that what I usually read. Darn it! ;) I enjoyed several of them. I really liked the way they explored the characters.

Yes, all you Addams family descendants will sigh with pleasure as all these macabre stories freak you out, make you look under the bed and have horrid endings. So, therefore I give this book 3 1/2 Uncle Fester lightbulbs! There were (as with all anthologies) some that really stand out and those that don't quite reach the full dark. However, in all, I admit I enjoyed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, have I made you curious? Don't forget you can still go around the Trick or Treat for books blogs to enter for the grand prize. This book is one of them! Go HERE for the deets if you missed it.

14 comments:

  1. Anything that has me looking under the bed is too scary to even contemplate, a great review though, I love that you give marks out of lightbulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anthologies! It give me an easy introduction to new authors I have never read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love my HEAs so I think this book would be difficult for me to read! It's good to get out of your comfort zone now and then though, so maybe I shouldn't write it off:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I don't know if I can do without the HEA! It would make me sad with sad panda face :( It does sound intriguing though....darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh I do not know, i want my HEA too...shocking I know ;)

    But if you surived then I really must be able to make it through too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo this book is so not for me! But, perhaps I can get my boyfriend to read a book with this one! He loves scary. He is going to fright night for Halloween at an amusement park ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doooooooooooooooooood, You know I love my HEA too, so I'm not sure how I'd fair with something like this, but I'm all up for trying something new. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. "3 1/2 Uncle Fester lightbulbs" - Ha! What an illuminating review! (See I can pun with the best of 'em.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect position for me, thank you very much! Yes, HEA is not necessary for my happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh an anthology, I didn't know this one. It sounds nice but I don't really know if it's for me. However, I will add it to my wishlist to try too !

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOOH this might actually be an anthology I will like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha I love my HEAs too, though with short stories/anthologies they're not always a must. I love some twist(ed) endings too - on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love anthologies and Ellen manages to find awesome stories every time! HEAs have their place, but there's nothing like a good scare for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not going to lie, I am not one for anthologies (unless they happen to be written by Kelley Armstrong), but I am quite intrigued by this one! Thanks for the review- I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!