Sunday, October 2, 2011

Anathema by Megg Jensen: Review by AimeeKay

Ahoy from the Rusty Dagger! We are still looking for treasure in the Iron Seas as we await the Narwal's next move. Fortunately I still have time to enjoy the wonderful books Melissa sends me. The book this time is Anathema by Megg Jensen.

Amazon Kindle Link $2.99
Amazon Paperback Link $9.40


Amazon summary:
Forget prophecy. Make your own destiny. 
Sheltered from the outside world with no hope for escape, slave girl Reychel dreads her fifteenth birthday - when her master’s symbol is burned on the back of her bald scalp. Her best friend disappears the night before, leaving her to face the branding ceremony alone. She soon discovers nothing is as it seems when people desperate for freedom beg for Reychel's help. 
Can Reychel learn to believe in herself?
I really enjoyed this book. It is a solid start to what looks to be a great series. I really enjoyed the characters that Jensen has created. And the story had some really interesting twists in it that I wasn't expecting. The story, while it isn't completely stand alone, obviously it is the first in a trilogy, can be read without requiring the second book on hand.. While it does leave some unresolved questions, is satisfying, and won't leave you disappointed. The unresolved questions are more of a teaser to the next book in the series, and I am definitely looking forward reading that one to see how the author resolves them. I also liked the romance between Reychel and Mark. It was sweet and didn't seem completely rushed. The fact that it is part of the story without being THE story of the novel is refreshing and enjoyable as well.

If I have any complaint it would be that I would have liked to learn more about the world Jensen created and the Gifted and how the magic they use works. (and why only the slaves seem to be able to use it) However this book is the first in a trilogy, and some questions were answered as I read so I am going to assume that more will be revealed in the next two novels. 

If you are looking for a good book to read or a new series to get into I definitely would recommend Anathema. And based on the first book in the trilogy I definitely think that The Cloud Prophet Trilogy will be worth starting. Also for those of you without access to ereaders the book IS available in paperback. (I put the link above)

Hope you all have had an enjoyable summer!

Til next time!
AimeeKay

13 comments:

  1. You're not telling much about the book itself, but so far, it is not calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the review it sounds interesting ! I do hope you'll learn more about the world in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this one last week and was wondering if it was any good. It sounds not too bad. Thanks for the review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looks for 1st books that have no overwhelming cliffies; hate those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I really, really enjoyed this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you guys liked the review.
    Thanks for the comments to feed my addiction!

    @Aurian- Yea, I'm making a huge effort to cut back on my spoiler alerts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED this book!! The third one is coming out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got this one on my Kindle! Haven't started it yet but it looks good!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh I like the cover :D Sounds good too.

    Summer *sobs* I do not want it to be over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magic... I love magic. ;) And new worlds. Thank you for the wonderful review. Glad you enjoyed it and made me curious for a new book. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I loved the uniqueness of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yay more comments! :)

    @Blodeuedd- I know I didn't want it to end either!!!! But at least it's almost Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!