Friday, August 24, 2012

Shadows (Lux #.5) and Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

 The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane. 
Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable. 
Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in. 
Captivated. Lured. Loved. 
Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.
This is the novella of what happened before Obsidian. This is where we find out what happened to Dawson the smexy twin we don't get to know in the next book. Although not all answers will be revealed.

I have to admit, I did not connect to Dawson and Bethany like I usually do with Jennifer L. Armentrout's characters. Like I have, for example, with the characters in the Covenant Series. Although I did enjoy it, I just wasn't thrilled with the almost insta love happening within these pages. And then...

The ending! Oh my what an ending! I was throughly caught up in the adventure and craved more! Oh yes, the ending sold me on this series.

I give this novella 4 stars. This one ends with a bang and sets you up nicely for the next book!

Starting over sucks. 
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. 
And then he opened his mouth. 
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
Oh yea... I couldn't wait to dive into this book after reading the novella, so I was so happy I had it on hand. In this book we get to know Daemon (Dawson's identical twin) who runs hot and cold with everyone around him. Determined to protect his sister and his people, Daemon's attitude leaves a lot to be desired. However, you know what they say about that hard outer shell. It often hides a soft heart. And despite how he treats Katy, you know feelings he would rather not have rear it's ugly head for him to deal with.

Now despite what some of you have heard... endless amount about Daemon, I felt this was really Katy's book. Her growth, finding the courage she never knew she had. Oh and I LOVED this character! She is the YA character you often wish was in these books! She had the courage to look the hot alien in the eye, ignore her hormones and demand to be treated with love and respect. Oh yea... Katy is my hero by just doing this in this story. I also loved that she didn't put up with Daemon's crap.

I give this book 5 stars. It has a heroine I just loved and some great action scenes as well. The secondary characters also rock. I recommend this one to anyone who loves PNR YA and strong heroines!

PS... Gimmie Onyx NOW!! ;D
I want to thank Kristi of the Book Faery for gifting me both these books. She's awesomesauce with extra sauce... ;)
The Book Faery
Note to the author, Jennifer L. Armentrout: 
Okay, I get it... the first heroine was a painter. The second was a book blogger. I know what that means. It means that I should be dating a hot alien. Well, I'll be waiting for you to make him real for me. Just make sure you make him over 21. I mean I'm not a total perv... ;D

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read any but keep hearing great things about them. Well I think I must read it now lol, I really can't wait to learn more about the characters you loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be dating a hot alien! He should totally be a dog lover and love high altitudes. I think your need to get Jennifer on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH! I still have to read this book! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very popular with the teenage daughters of my friends, I think I'll give these a look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you didn't mention all the cute bloggy,references in this one. I need to go back and read the novella and find out about Dawson. I liked the whole alien thing, it is different!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm a bookblogging heroine! That sounds good. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard good things :D

    And a heroine to my taste too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh soooo glad to see you enjoyed these. :D Sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!