Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hell on Wheels (Black Knights, Inc. #1) by Julie Ann Walker

He’s the bad boy she’s always wanted... 
Nate “Ghost” Weller has loved Ali Morgan nearly half his life. But he’s done something so heinous he’s convinced she’ll never forgive him if she discovers the truth, so he keeps his feelings and his secrets to himself. Then she blows into town with a mother lode of bad guys on her tail and Nate can’t deny she’s in serious trouble. Unfortunately, he’s the only one who can help her. 
She’s the good girl he’s kept at arm’s length... 
Ali knows Nate as the most solemn, aloof man on the planet. Sadly, he’s also the sexiest. For years she’s avoided him, unable to stomach his dark scowls and brooding silences… especially when she secretly yearns for his touch. Now she must rely on him to save her from the malevolent shadows ghosting her every move. When the bullets explode, so does their passion. But can love really conquer all? Or are some things just too terrible to forgive?
This is a fun read that has a lot of smexy men who play hard and have a harrowing job. All members of the Black Knights group are ex-military men with special skills. They take the jobs the government needs done but cannot take responsibility. These men not only do that job, but since they all have a conscious working overtime, the job takes its toll. They also make sure those that they have to deal with deserve their brand of justice, and even so their conscious is never clear. I guess that makes the bad boy not so bad, but yet so very very bad. :)

Ali is the heroine who is a bit on the delicate side, but then what do you expect from a kindergarden teacher? It's her brother that was the big bad hellion and even though they were close, they had very different lives. Nate was captivated by Ali from the moment he saw her, but one warning from his brother from another mother and he always kept her at arms length. Can you say frustrating romance?

Yes, this book was fun, and had enough smexy time to make it a good romance as well. It wasn't rushed and there was more than one male you'd like to kick in the arse for being a total jerk. However, while you are kicking that arse, you are admiring it at the same time. Yes, there is lots of action and fire power, but the dialog made it so you didn't get too hung up on the action. It made it playful. Those who love intense action may be put off with this, but those who enjoy some playfulness will enjoy the show.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. It's a fun smexy book with romance with a frustrating male and a bit of action thrown into the mix.
I received this eARC from the publisher and NetGalley and no compensation for my review was given.

13 comments:

  1. We adore smexy men, yes we do. But why is his head cut of? Boohoo! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "However, while you are kicking that arse, you are admiring it at the same time."

    Hahahah love it:) I like the sound of this one (aside from the whole arms length thing)! I could use a sexy, playful book right now, so I think this one might need to go on the Kindle:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "However, while you are kicking that arse, you are admiring it at the same time."

    That perfectly describes some characters that are extremely attractive yet manages to piss you off at the same time. I think I'll wait to see how you like book 2 before diving into another series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this review that line about kicking and admiring arses! A kindergarten teacher hooking up with a sexy motorcycle riding bad boy sounds exciting. thanks for sharing!The cover alone is worth the read right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gonna read this one as soon as I finish the book I am reading at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can I not resist the bad guy? Plus the cover is hot. Cool! Loved the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "However, while you are kicking that arse, you are admiring it at the same time."

    Bwahaha! Well said!

    "This is a fun read that has a lot of smexy men who play hard and have a harrowing job."

    This is sometimes the only kind of book I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count another fan for that engraving-worthy turn of phrase. Melissa, you are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how is it I didn't even see it on netgalley, shame on me! I confess I'm quite curious now, well maybe because I love the cover as well lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I've not heard of this before! Sounds like a good read to enjoy. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes this is exactly the kind of book you need to read to relax and not think at all. I already have a series started (NH) or I'd start this one. I'll put it on the back burner with the other seven I've collected from you! :)

    Heaether

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished it and I have to admit I did quite a lot of arse admiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review, I have added it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!