Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.
Okay, I finally got to read this book and see what all the fuss is about. I have to admit the fuss was pretty accurate. I really enjoyed this book and the almost 500 pages just flew by for me.

In the book Tris is who we follow in this adventure. I really did like Tris, but found her quite difficult and almost too stubborn at times. She was smart, but sometimes you just wanted to shake her to make sure some of those braincells were working. Granted she was in a completely new world and discovering how to think for herself, so I can understand why it took her so long to finally start to take someone else's advice. Still... it frustrated me from time to time. So, I'm glad her counter was Four. I really enjoyed his character and can't wait for more of him. Of course this also means that those who crave romance within these adventures won't be sorry. ;)

The world is in a sense a typical dystopian. Formed out of fear, and ruled by that fear. In this one you have factions and the faction-less which reminded me of a caste system. One, once chosen, becomes your family and station in life. What makes this dystopian and other successful dystopians is that it sometimes hits close to home and you can see it happening in society today if we let fear win. Think of the labels we place on others and then on ourselves. Think of how hard it is to shake a label once it is placed. It is just in this world, the definitions are more clearly defined.

I give this book 4 stars. The book ends with a bang. The ending isn't a cliffie, but I guarantee you will be wanting the next one ASAP.

I was given this book by the lovely Ashley of The Bookish Brunette. Now do I hug her or curse her for given me another series to covet? ;) HUG!!
 The bookish brunette

14 comments:

  1. Okay well the good news is you started out in the right order and the second book is already out. This is the book that changed my mind about dystopians. The fact that it just jumped right in instead of setting up the world, I loved that fact. I still haven't finished this one though I started it last year. I'll have to start over. I loved your review. It makes me want to hop right into the world again and read it right now.

    That was nice of Ashley and you should hug her!
    And I'm so proud that you're reading in order!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually read this book! And I quite enjoyed it as well - my friend has lent me the second boo Insurgent but I haven't had time to read it yet...I have about 7 review books that need to read in teh next two weeks that will keep me busy for some time...sigh...so many books to read and just not a long enough commute to work to read them all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just going to say it: How is that I read a YA series before you? Does that seem even remotely right in any sense? LOL :) Yes I have read Insurgent too. I feel like I should be saying na na na na na!

    *huggles* (Y'all I am just teasing her) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok now I'm sure I"ll be the last one who haven't read it. One day I'll try it, but I don't know why it's not done yet. I'm a little anxious to not like it after all the amazing reviews everywhere... Well I need to buy it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a decision to have to make at 16. Sounds like a fascinating read, I know it's getting lots of good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I flew through this book too but unfortunately I didn't think the second was quite as good...until its cliffhanger ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh yes, one of my fav reads of last year. I dragged my feet reading, but loved it! I must admit that book two is a little bit of a let down. I am glad you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes this is another one of those I would love to try it books :)

    Hm...maybe I could ask my library..;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took me a while to get to this one too Melissa! I was nervous I wouldn't like it as much as everyone else, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm quite a big fan of Four as well and I hope we get lots more of him in Insurgent, which I still have not read because I'm challenged. I have it and I haven't read it yet, what is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaah, you finally got to it! And before me. I have it here waiting for me, now if only I could carve out time for all these books! Glad to see it lives up to the hype. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meh, I was in the minority who thought "read that" before. I wasn't blown away and I thought the world building was shoddy. I've been delaying reading book 2 since this one didn't blow me away. Glad you liked it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!!!! I'm so glad you loved it!!!!! Am I going to have to send you Insurgent???? I totally will! Lol

    Even though I actually haven't read it myself... I do own it though!!! I <3 you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY! I am so glad that you read it and loved it! I heart this series. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!