Monday, August 6, 2012

Blood and Silver (Deacon Chalk #2) by James R. Tuck

He hasn't met a monster yet that could give him a scare. With ice in his veins, silver hollow-points in his chambers, and an innate ability to rise from the dead, what's to fear? The answer may be something he doesn't want to face. 
Deacon Chalk normally has no trouble telling innocent victims from real monsters. So protecting an abused pregnant were-dog is a no-brainer... until a vicious lycanthrope leader and his brotherhood target Deacon, other shape-shifters, and any humans in their way.

Suddenly, Deacon is outnumbered, outgunned, and unsure who--or what--to trust. The only edge he has left is a weapon hungry for his soul and his most savage impulses. And using it will exact a price even this hell-raising hunter fears to pay...
This is the second novel in this series and the 4th book (2 novellas) but you could read this one without reading the others as the back story presents itself when needed. You could fully get a feel for Deacon without the other adventures, but you will probably want to read them anyway.

Those fans of UF will love the fast paced action and some of the cold hearted decisions he makes within this story. Deacon is still someone you would want on your side because as soon as he considers you family, he'll protect you with his life. Plus, injustice for the smaller and weaker gets his blood boiling and he just might protect you if you need it even if he never met you before.

Deacon finds himself protecting a were-dog who seems to be caught in a war among the lycanthropes. It's the prey animals against the predators with a few of the predators against the age old way of the dominate abusing their power. It's no easy battle and the group they come up against seems unstoppable. Just another battle to Deacon.

I did enjoy this hard won battle. More so for the battle raging within Deacon himself that he seems to finally be winning. The one that scarred him and brought him to fight the monsters and keep as many innocents safe as possible. Those that read this series know what I'm talking about and I was beginning to think he was using his family's death as an excuse to keep people at a safe distance. I was glad Deacon let go of some things even so slightly. It added a bit of growth to his character.

I give this book 4 stars. It's a fast paced UF and I'm hoping for more character growth in the coming books in this series. I'd really like to see him dig deeper within.
I received this eARC from the author and no compensation for my review was given.

11 comments:

  1. Hey, snap! We both posted a review of the same book on the same day! :-)
    i really enjoyed this - more so than the first book. I agree it feels like Deacon is starting to move past what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that guy on the cover looks like he's going to do some serious dammage! I don't want to meet him in the dark! ;) He's scary. Okay, nuff about the cover. The book sounds really good and actionpacked. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like it is getting intense. Hopefully the next book will bring more character development. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this series Melissa, but the guy on the cover looks like a complete badass, so I think this might be a fun series to read:) I just finished a UF that was really quiet, still enjoyable, but it will be fun to read something like this that's action packed after reading that one. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that guy still creeps me out *hides*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deacon looks like he kicks ass and takes names! A were dog! Lucky dog gets a freaking cool bodyguard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH it's BAD, you're always here to remind me the series I forgot to buy, and well I have THIS one I need to try. I'm very curious with your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I'm liking the cover very much. For some reason this guy is pulling me to him. LOL! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeep! "Battle raging" I so want to read this series. Shame on me as I have the first one here! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who would want to abuse a pregnant were-dog?! And dude needs to rip the rest of his shirt off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this book, and I'm glad you did as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!