Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi #1) by Linda Robertson

A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.... 
Being a witch doesn't pay the bills, but Persephone Alcmedi gets by between reading Tarot cards, writing her syndicated newspaper column, and kenneling werewolves in the basement when the moon is full -- even if witches aren't supposed to mingle with wolves. She really reaches the end of her leash, though, when her grandmother gets kicked out of the nursing home and Seph finds herself in the doghouse about some things she's written. Then her werewolf friend Lorrie is murdered...and the high priestess of an important coven offers Seph big money to destroy the killer, a powerful vampire named Goliath Kline. Seph is a tough girl, but this time she bites off more than she can chew. She needs a little help from her friends -- werewolf friends. One of those friends, Johnny, the motorcycle-riding lead singer for the techno-metal-Goth band Lycanthropia, has a crush on her. And while Seph has always been on edge around this 6'2" leather-clad hunk, she's starting to realize that although their attraction may be dangerous, nothing could be as lethal as the showdown that awaits them.
 In this book we have Persephone a witch who reads the tarot for people and writes a column in the local newspaper about werewolves because they have become the acceptable prejudice in the society. Denied even basic health care rights, Persephone takes up their mantle in the name of justice. In fact, justice has become her call to duty in almost any situation. This brings us to her current problem she must solve.

I liked Persephone and yet she frustrated me. I loved her compassion and her sense of justice, but didn't like the fact that she was so easily manipulated by others. However, it was a minor frustration as it was also a point of growth for the character. She slowly learned how to stand up for herself as she so easily did for others. Although this growth was not complete by the end of the book, I did like that she grew as a character in this book.

The other thing I really enjoyed were the secondary characters. Nana was a hoot even if she was so manipulative at times. Goliath was confusing, but had possibilities for more mayhem in the coming series. Menessos was the perfect villan. Vampire arrogance ftw! :) Oh and Johnny. Johnny! So many of you will love this pseudo bad boy I know I'll be fighting for that were. In the end, I think the secondary characters really made this book.

My biggest complaint was tiny things. At times it seemed when I was reading I was wondering if I picked up the right book and this was the first book. Some things it referenced as if we should know what had happened before. I don't mind this when I know I've picked up a book in the middle of the series, but it was confusing for a first book. This was light and may not be noticed by some, but it was confusing to me nonetheless.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. It's a good start to the series with a lot of character growth for the main character. I'm looking forward to seeing what other things this witch conjures up.
I received this book from Pocket Books and no compensation for my review was given.

22 comments:

  1. it seems a bit confusing for a book like this one. I have it in my huge TBR pile and I'm curious to see how it is. Now I know what I can expect, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really that confusing, just moments of "huh?" but they were few.

      Delete
  2. This is probably not my cup of tea but you do know I love me some witches! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first may not be, but I'm reading the rest and you may really like those!

      Delete
  3. Great review, I'm glad that the tiny things didn't spoil this for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm..haven't read many books that feature witches as the MC. Not sure if it's for me given your concerns, but I'm curious to see how book 2 measures up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are we going to get in a knock-down drag-out fight over Johnny Melissa? I think maybe we are. I'll have to read it first and then I'll let you know if I claim him as mine ;-) I think a strong set of secondary characters can really make up for a lot of small flaws in the protagonist and story, so I'm thinking I'd like this one overall:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... he's MINE! *growls*

      Oh you will totally fight me for him. Go easy on me... and remember I have a doberman. He will sniff you so hard and then lick you. Just a warning... ;)

      Delete
  6. Well witches and werewolves are always fun. I know what you mean when you don't ever get those pesky details it drives me nuts as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an interesting take on it. You would love Johnny! :)

      Delete
  7. Huh! If you and Jenny plan to fight over Johnny, he must really be a great guy! I actually started this once, but it failed to pull me in so I dropped it. I think I'll re-start. Although it was far from perfect, it seems there are plenty of great things in it.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fights... he's MINE. ;)

      Hint: the books seem to be getting better. :)

      Delete
  8. This was not one of my favs, it fell kind of flat for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that. I'd be curious if you had the same reaction if you continued the series as I did... :)

      Delete
  9. The little things that bothered you are things I find to bother me with first books in UF series quite often. My average rating for first books in UF series is 3 stars. There's just something that tends to be lacking. But it's a new world and all that... And I guess they sometimes throw us in in the middle of stuff so we're not too bored. Or something. I'm not sure. But I'm definitely interested, I hadn't heard of this before but I love books with witches. And I love UF, even though I rarely manage to fit it in. I'm gonna remember this one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have not heard of this series but I like the cover. Urban fantasy does well with me as long as it is done right. Know what I mean? Like I love Patricia Briggs and Gayle Carriger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the sounds of this series. I'd like to give it a try one day. :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo I have this book :) Thanks for the review, I will certainly read it someday this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm... This has me INTRIGUED!!!! But I'm nervous... I tend to get SUPER frustrated when a book references things I'm unaware of like I should know them without being told!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this series, but glad you enjoyed despite the issues.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!