Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Demon's Curse (Imnada Brotherhood #1) by Alexa Egan

A fast-paced and captivating debut—the first in the dark and sexy Imnada Brotherhood series about shape shifters in Regency-era England. 
A rising star on the Covent Garden stage, Bianca Parrino believes she has everything she wants. Independence. Wealth. And a life finally free of her violent, abusive husband. But when her close friend, Adam, is murdered, and Bianca is suspected in his death, she is unwittingly drawn into the search for his killer, and soon must question everything she believes—about her friend, about herself, and about a world she never knew existed. 
A member of the mysterious race of shape-shifting Imnada and part of an elite military unit, Captain Mac Flannery gathered intelligence during the Napoleonic wars. As a result of a savage massacre, Mac and the men he served with are cursed. Now one of them has been found murdered, and Mac suspects the existence of the Imnada has been discovered at last. His only link to unearthing the truth is the beautiful actress who turns up unexpectedly at Adam’s funeral. 
Before long, Mac has more to contend with than Bianca’s overt mistrust, his ill-fated attraction to the haughty and beautiful actress, and his ongoing search for an end to the curse. Because Adam’s killer is back, and Mac is next on his list.
 This was an interesting mix of genres in a book. To me, it was mostly a historical romance and a PNR with a dash of fantasy for flavor. It held all three of these genres and it blended it nicely. I would however, disagree with part of the book's blurb. It isn't a fast paced book, but rather slow paced as some historical romances tend to be with some fast paced action on occasion.

In this story 4 shapeshifters of the clans of Imnada all go to help the war effort and defeat Napoleon. As they are gathering information, they find themselves exposed for what they are and they are bound by their clan law to eliminate any threat. When the threat comes from a fay-blood they become cursed and must endure the shift to their animal nature every night. This makes them anathema to the clans and they are banished. All are looking to eliminate the curse while a member of the fay-blood is looking for revenge. One was murdered and this is what brought them back together after their cursed night and expulsion from the clans.

The love interest is between Bianca, the friend of the murdered man Adam, and Mac, a clansman to Adam. Mac falls for her not because of her beauty nor popularity, but because of her strength of character. Of course this is not easy for either of them as Bianca has PTSD from a previous marriage and Mac is suspicious of everyone not in the clan. Can you say frustrating romance with periods of aw? :)

I have to admit that I was not always thrilled with Mac. I really loved the fact that he cared enough for Bianca to help her through her PTSD, but found him infuriating when he would trigger her problem because he couldn't decide what he wanted. He knew he triggered her problem and yet he didn't. Yes, I wanted to kick that shifter in his hind end. :P However, this became a nice contrast for Bianca and I found her to be someone who had great strength within. I know many of you love this kind of frustrating tension, but I sometimes think enough is enough. But that is just me. :)

I give this mix of genre book 3 stars. I really do think that this series will take off now that this world is established and I'm curious as to what happens next. It's not a cliffie, but not everything is solved and I want to know how they solve it. I recommend this book to those that love historical romance and want something a bit different.
I received this book from Pocket Books and no compensation for my review was given.

Btw, I found the cover a good one so I'm nominating it for:
I have been enjoying this meme on Felicia's The Geeky Blogger's blog and have finally found some time to join in. The other players are Amanda from On a Book Bender, Christi from Smitten with Reading. Button made by Missie at The Unread Reader

Would like to see his eyes, but the chest is good... :D

26 comments:

  1. I'm always impressed by authors who successfully manage to combine several genres all within one book which it sounds like this author has done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one but it is one that I am on the fence about. It seems a little all over the place. However, I give you one guess why I picked it up? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit all over the place. Still now that the world is established I suspect the other books will take off much easier.

      Hm... let me guess... ;)

      Delete
  3. hmm, sounds interesting and it does have a gorgeous cover! smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kinda fascinated by his flaming sword. Or... glowing sword. Whatever it is, it's cooool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Can you say frustrating romance with periods of aw? :)"

    Hahahaha I love your reviews. I've read many a book that the above describes perfectly, and there are times when I just want to reach in and throttle both hero and heroine. His smoking sword on the cover is deeply intriguing though - on a variety of levels both in and out of the gutter:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm..seems like a historic version of BDB. I think I might try this series out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I can see that. I still need to finish that series... :)

      Delete
  7. Love this review! I like that this author can combine all great aspects to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY. I thought it was an intriguing way of introducing us to this world.

      Delete
  8. hmmm I don't know, it sounds like an intriguing mix but maybe I'll wait for your review of the second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a bit confusing to some mostly because it was introducing us to a whole new world. I think the second won't be bogged down by that intro.

      Delete
  9. Well it is nice that you got a twofer a review and a top off in one. This book sounds like it has a lot of potential but it just doesn't quite take off. Interesting but I am not sure I am sold on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes good cover :D
    And the book sound interesting too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a nice blend there. And love the top off too. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes the world building is a bit slow at the beginning so I'm curious to see how the rest of the series goes. It does sound interesting though so I'll pay attention to those in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review, added it to the wishlist. And I can never not feed the fishes when I come over here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!