Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Audio Review: Tricked by Kevin Hearne


Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.
But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shapeshifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.
Another great audio voiced by Luke Daniels. In this one Atticus is again in hot water helped by Coyote, the Diné trickster. Helped as in tricked into getting rid of shapeshifters bent on wrecking havoc on the community. Plus, it doesn't help when Atticus's past deeds inflame the skinwalkers into action. 

This was a funny book. Atticus is a bit out of his element since he hasn't had much dealings with the Native American spirits but as always he does his best. The secondary characters were so great in this book. LOVED Frank and of course Coyote. Also great in this book is the way things were researched. Most of it felt very authentic and I felt there was care taken to be fairly accurate. Of course, this being a work of fiction, liberties were taken, but in the best way.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. I really enjoyed my time here and the way Atticus got frustrated with Coyote. Of course Granuaile rocked and still was sharp and smart even for being someone still in the learning stages. And not to forget Oberon. That dog cracks me up. Hound 10000, Druid 1... ;)

18 comments:

  1. Each time I see an audiobook review I'm telling myself that I really need to listen one. But will I try in French or in English? the bog questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get into audio, and I'm so slow about it. I do have to admit that I've been lucky with these and really enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. I don't even know what to say at this point Melissa other than I fail at life for not having started this series yet. *puts on dunce cap and stands in corner*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think about what you haven't done while in that corner! ;)

      Delete
  3. I am listening to this right now and just past the half way mark. I cant' believe what Leif did and I was so worried about Oberon. I really do like Coyote even though he is a trickster. I really love the voice Luke does for him. I love this series it is rocking and I can't wait for Atticus to get it on.... we need some romance and not with the Morrigan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I didn't even want to talk about Leif. Grrrrr....

      Coyote in a lot of these myths is always a trickster, but a lot of the times, it is for the good of the person or tribe. So glad he kept that in the stories.

      ROFL... yea the romance with the Morrigan could prove quite painful! *snort*

      Delete
  4. I really should try it...yes, who cares of the novella was meh. Novellas are always meh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you catching up! I am so proud :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACK! It's been too long since I've caught up with my favorite druid! I still haven't listened to this one. But I will!!! Oberon cracks me up too. Love that big goof ball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Love this series, but still haven't tried audio. And Oberon! Totally love that dog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doh, doh, doh! I've got the first three books here. RIGHT HERE! And I need time to get to them. DANG! I need to read this series. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Glad you liked this one too! What are you going to do when you run out of these audio's to listen to?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love this series, and yes, Oberon rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow your fish are hungry today :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the last Druid book I still enjoyed, although not as much as you did. Maybe listening to it made some difference. I got annoyed a few times by all the info-dumping that's been going on.
    Still, overall it was a good read and this series still has a special place in my heart.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would
    love to have you share some stories/information.

    I know my subscribers would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.
    Also visit my web blog ; diets that work

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!