Monday, January 14, 2013

Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell #2.5) by Jenn Bennett

Dating a demon, defeating evil, running a tiki bar: Arcadia Bell is a great occult mage in many respects. But then there’s the challenge of her boyfriend’s precocious teenage son… 
Arcadia "Cady" Bell may have saved the Hellfire Club’s children from a local bogeyman, but she and her Earthbound demon boyfriend, Lon Butler, now face a more disturbing problem: his teenage son’s new demonic abilities. Jupe Butler can persuade you to do anything—or so he thinks. To test the limits of his newfound power, Cady invites the co-owner of Tambuku Tiki Lounge to be the teen’s guinea pig during an afternoon boat cruise. But when an angry storm whips the Pacific into a frenzy and Jupe puts them all in serious danger, will Cady's magick trump a teenager’s excess confidence?
This is a novella that goes along with the series. I honestly think it should be read in order because you are in full awareness of the characters leading this adventure and you are already invested in them. Plus, this follows the series chronologically.

My fave UF dad, Lon, his son Jupe and Cady are all back in this novella where they are just looking for a small get away for some fun. However, the captain of the ship has a few secrets he's keeping. The secrets plus a precocious Jupe all add up to some trouble for the group. Nothing is ever easy in Cady's life.

This short adventure is fun and keeps with the same feel as the other books in this series. If you have read the other 2 books, you will love this short installment. It complements it perfectly. I love the characters in this book and it helps with the time waiting for the next book due in May. Just a little, because May is a long time away. *sigh*

I give this novella 4 1/2 stars. It's a perfect little short that brings back some of my fave characters. I recommend it to those that love this series already! It's currently only $.99 at your fave ebook retailer. Those that haven't read it... the series is...
Binding the Shadows (tbp: May 28 ~ Me want now!)

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for some other books to try. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT! I love when the novella is just a continuation of a series. Those are my favorite ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SO need to read this series! I think you'd love the father/son interactions within this series.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to start this series soon, I got to add this to the list. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May is a long way away isn't it? *shakes fist at calendar* I love that so many authors are doing short stories or novellas in between releases now, it's like they're taking pity on us and our book-obsessive tendencies:) Glad this was such a great way to pass the time until book 3 releases!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of this series, but I do like that cover and the sound of the characters.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maja reviewed this yesterday and she liked it as well. I bought the first book when it came out because I read so many rave reviews and sadly I haven't read it yet. I must endeavor to dig it out. THanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ EET! :) I really want to see what you think of it. :)

      Delete
  7. Good that you liked it so much :D It's great when novellas work

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know that I have heard of this series yet. Since you like it so much I'm off to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, need to read in order. If that's coming from you, we have to follow...as you lover reading out of order so must be a good tip. ;) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really loving this trend of novellas in between books to keep us readers happy! Haven't read this series, but like the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, still 5 more months to wait for the next book :( I loved this little novella as well, great series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this series and I loved the novella, I really can't wait for a new full novel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!