Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Just One Day (Just One Day #1) by Gayle Forman

A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!
Okay, I totally confess... I judged a character by the blurb. I was all ready to totally hate on Willem that I admit it took some doing to get me into the book. I read a couple of chapters slowly, but then just decided to read. I found myself not hating the guy, but I still admit I was still quite skeptical of his character. There was just so much we didn't know and that leads to very easy conclusions. The author uses this for Allyson's character growth so I found it an interesting twist.

It's also a book surrounded by Shakespeare. Much of her life is compared through his plays and it becomes intertwined with her story as well. Not just the romance aspect, but the natural growth Allyson goes through to find out who she is without her parents dictating every aspect of her life. She forces herself to find out who she is and meets some real interesting characters along the way. Dee, her bestie in college is my fave character. He is hilarious and also a complex character for being a secondary character. He loves to play with masks that people try to judge him by and only Allyson is the first one to truly see who he is and he sees Allyson even though she is quite closed to him at first. (PS... no love triangle)

I enjoyed Allyson's growth. She also explores the possibilities that jumping to conclusions without sufficient information is quite easy to accomplish. In fact, the theme of masks and simple conclusions abound in this novel as well as happy accidents.

In the end we get a HEA but not necessarily the one we are seeking. I suspected that would be the case, but it also ends in a way I want to know more. I was upset with not knowing more until I realized that Willem's book comes out later. Oh yea... I want to know his story. He is way too mysterious for me in this book and I really want to know what went on with him as well as finding out what happens to both even if it is a few years later. I became invested in these characters so I must know!

I give this book 4 stars. It's a good coming of age new adult type of book. I enjoyed the Shakespeare analogies as well as the adventure Allyson becomes brave enough to undertake. I recommend the book to those that enjoy contemporary new adult (older YA)... and Shakespeare. :)
I received this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer's program and the publisher and no compensation for my review was given. 
LibraryThing Early Reviewers

22 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. I do love me some Shakespeare!

    That being said I don't get the whole "new adult" tag. It just throws me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think the whole new adult thing came about since people were writing about those in college or just after it. Eh... just good books is the only genre I need to know. ;)

      Delete
  2. hmmm I don't know... I don't read a lot of books like that. glad you were surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much contemp. YA either, but this one was pretty good. :)

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read this one! I think I'll really like it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had no clue about the Shakespeare connection but that makes me even more excited because I'm a Shakespeare groupie. :) Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hopeth you geteth the booketh. Yea, I suck at the poetry. :) Still, love to read it. :D

      Delete
  5. This story sounds fabulous. Another book to crave...damn it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo I'm so glad I read your review Melissa because I was definitely hating on Willem based on the blurb as well. And I hold a grudge. A nasty one. So I'm glad to know there's more to him than a guy who just leaves Allyson the morning after. I think I'm going to be dying for his book by the end of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Jenny and grudges? Na... don't believe it! You will hate, maybe like, hate, not know what to think, wonder what is up with him, and back to don't know what to think. Now you know why I need that next book. :)

      Delete
  7. YAY! I loved this book as well. I seen many awesome reviews on this book and can not wait to read Willem point of view. GAHD! I need to know what he did! AHHHH! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! What happened to him in that year? I gotta know too!

      Delete
  8. I do hear if you go YA you should read Forman, and I will one day

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I just picked it up and I'm loving it. I was really scared I was going to hate Willem, so I'm glad I don't - he was up front and honest with Allyson from the start. Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I was a bit skeptical of Willem at first, but for some reason I pretty much believed in him from the beginning (or while they were in Paris). I just went crazy through the rest of the book DYING to know what happens! So yeah, the end made me squeal and scream (happy and frustrated!). But such a great book!
    And yes, I just ADORED Dee and most all the secondary characters were done so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, so glad to see the character worked out differently for you. :) And like the idea of surrounded with Shakespeare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading from your review, the book sounds good. so what made it a 4 and not a 5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biggest reason: I'm an ending girl and this one was too open for me. I like a complete book even if it is part of a series. :)

      Delete
  13. I like coming of age books, so id def enjoy reading this one! Willem sounds like a character i want to read about why you were skeptical of! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so afraid to read a review of this. I was worried it wouldn't live up to my Gayle Forman ideals. I think it will according to what you've written. Thank you for such a great review! I was really worried and you've taken my worries away.
    Sounds like I'll have my preconceived ideas changed as well! And I bet Willem's story won't come soon enough!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!