Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kat Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis

Kat, IncorrigibleFrom Goodreads:
Twelve-year-old Kat Stephenson may be the despair of her social-climbing Step-Mama, but she was born to be a magical Guardian and protector of Society--if she can ever find true acceptance in the secret Order that expelled her own mother. She’s ready to turn the hidebound Order of the Guardians inside-out, whether the older members like it or not. And in a society where magic is the greatest scandal of all, Kat is determined to use all her powers to help her three older siblings--saintly Elissa, practicing-witch Angeline, and hopelessly foolish Charles--find their own true loves, even if she has to turn highwayman, battle wild magic, and confront real ghosts along the way!
Any Jane Austen fans out there? Looking to the next generation and wanting them to be interested in those wonderful books but still feel they are a bit too old for them? Oh, do I have the perfect solution. Let me introduce you to Kat Stephenson a girl who will never be on the best behaved list. Kat is the main character and the one who is the most adventurous of the 3 girls. Charles, their older brother has kept the family in financial ruins which prompts the oldest sister, and the most dramatic of them all, Elissa to marry into money. Stepmama found the perfect catch. However the catch is, is that he lost his last wife to some very unusual and suspicious circumstances. Trying to do what is right and also trying to find out what magics Angeline, the middle sister, has been preforming, Kat stumbles onto a magic mirror who claims her as her own.

Hm... as to what happens next. I cannot say. Angeline put a lip lock (finger lock?) spell on me to prevent it. I will say, however, that if you love fun adventure, strong willed smart women, and a MG/YA tribute to Jane Austen then you will enjoy this book. The story does start out a bit slow but quickens the pace as soon as the first adventure of magic appears (which happens quickly). I give this book 4 1/2 stars. Oh and this is book 1 in the series. You UK people should be happy that you'll be getting those stories before us Yanks in the colonies. ;)

Books in the Series:

  1. Most Improper Magick (UK);  Kat Incorrigible (US)
  2. A Tangle of Magicks (UK) (TBP: Aug. 2011);  Kat Incorrigible: Renegade Magic (US) (TBP: April 2012)
  3. Reckless Magick (working title) (UK);  untitled (US)
I received this book from the publisher, Simon and Schuster, and no compensation for my review was given.

15 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! It was so much fun. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so freaking cute! Ive seen it everywhere... Maybe it's time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing this one around a lot lately as well and I haven't read a single even slightly negative review for it, I must give it a try:) It just looks so sweet and cute, and if you give it a 4.5, then that's more than good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool nick name: Kat Incorrigible!!! I may have to give this one a whirl myself and then if I'm nice I'll pass on to my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do love Jane Austen. This book looks and sounds adorable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing this book everywhere! You sold me on "MG/YA tribute to Jane Austen," oh and strong willed smart women. It's like reading about myself when I come across a character like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Carrie... I so agree!

    @Misha... oh I loved your review.

    @Bookish... It is just fun. :)

    @Jenny... I think you will enjoy it.

    @Chas... Only if SHE is good! lol ;)

    @Nina...Yes, I do think you'd enjoy this one.

    @Missie... Yes... and it has no bunnies too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've heard of this book...but as A Most Improper Magick. I love the new title though - anything with "incorrigible" in it's gotta be good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book sounds so cute :D I am sure I would have loved it when I was younger, and that I still would enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welllll, I haven't ever read any Jane Austen books. But this one does sound so cute. :) I have to say I love the cover too. Thanks for the great review! Sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I don't have anything remotely resembling kiddos in my house (unless you count my dogs and I do) but I am going to get this book! I am sure I will end up giving it to someone but I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a fun read. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I may have to give it a try (because you mentioned Jane Austen), lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a fan of MG books but I keep seeing this book getting 4 and 5 stars reviews. I might just have to give it a read. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book looks so much fun! And I've heard such good things about it, glad you liked it. I think I saw it on netgalley, galley grab? Not sure, maybe I can manage to get it before it's too late lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!