Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ash by Malinda Lo

AshFrom Goodreads:
In the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted. 
The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash's capacity for love-and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love. 
Entrancing, empowering, and romantic, Ash is about the connection between life and love, and solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.
 I have to admit that I enjoyed this book but not as much as I enjoyed Huntress. So, instead of having it enhance this experience I tried to ignore some of what I read in the prequel. I think it is mostly because there was a almost never-ending adventure with the first and only one retold story with this book. The stories were connected but only by space. They both seemed like completely separate stories in the end.

Cinderella was never my favorite fairy tale. Oh, true... I loved the Disney version, but mostly because of Gus Gus the mouse. I also liked the retelling with Drew Barrymore but that is because that princess was a rare creature, sure of herself and, in fact, saved herself. I now will add a third retelling that I did enjoy and that is Ash. The world building was lush and main characters in this book were so easily likable. Therefore, I think the retellings have been superior to the generally known Cinderella tale.

My only criticism in this book was Sidhean, the fairy prince. He was necessary in this story and yet his character fell flat. I felt that his story needs to be told. I am very curious about what happened to him and what had specifically befallen him with Ash's mother. Doesn't mean that I wanted Ash to end up with Sidhean (I don't think I'm spilling anything since it was clear it wouldn't happen from the blurb); no that romantic story was perfect as told, I'm just a curious cat.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. You do not have to read Huntress before Ash. They are very different even though the stories take place in the same place but at different time periods.

I received this book in winnings from the Misfit Salon. Her review is HERE.

14 comments:

  1. I am still on the fence about fairytale re-imaginings. I like movie versions aka you are right about Ever After (though drooling over Dougray Scott did not hurt) and a few others. In books, I have read a few and they just don't quite wow me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Cinderella and I really enjoy re-tellings. But I am sorry to hear that the character of the fairy prince was flat - flat characters always spoil the entire book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gus Gus was adorable, whenever my dad is complaining I always sing that work song to him and call him Cinderella.

    Anyway back to this review, glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm kind of lost didn't know there was a prequel, I have no clue in what order these books go lol xD

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gus Gus! He was my favorite part of that movie too:) I was definitely curious about this one after reading Huntress and I was wondering how connected they would be. Interesting that they're so separate, but it is nice that they stand alone:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review has stoked my interest in Huntress even more. It sounds even more dynamic that Ash, actually. I hope the writing is as good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I didn't know that a re-told fairy tale plays such a big part in this story. Interesting.

    You'd think that Sidhean's part of the story would almost engulf it on the whole based on the premise, sorry to hear it fell a bit flat.

    P.S. Gus Gus is mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not as good, but still good, I can live with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Felicia... Oh yea... Dougray Scott did very good in that one. ;) I think I like them better when they make the girl more internally powerful.

    @Misha... It didn't spoil the whole book but I just became very curious about his story.

    @Savannah... I'm sorry that you didn't. I guess a book is not for everyone.

    @Samita... that is cute. And this one is nice... no order to the books at all! :)

    @Jenny... I would give it some time to read Ash. That way you don't have the other as fresh in your mind as I did.

    @Stephanie... I think you'll like Huntress.

    @Missie... I understand that she was supposed to end up with the prince, but as she wrote it she realized this wasn't to be the case.

    Oh and... Gus Gus will fight for me. He's mine!

    @Blodeuedd... Yes, it was still a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So which one should I read first??? Will I like Ash more if I read Huntress second? Help me out lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, I've added this one and Huntress to my want list. I'm very curious about them and want to read them. Thank you very much. ;P

    I know it's only a 3 for you, but still sounds like a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Bookish... e-mailed a lady... :)

    @Melissa... It is a good read. I think even though I tried not to, I compared them. Really, they are 2 different books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Cutest picture ever! But seriously Mel, do you think you can have Grim and Gus Gus? That might cause a big of a problem. JS

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Missie... yes.. I'm my twisted imagination... yes, I can. ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!