Friday, April 8, 2011

Cloaked by Alex Flinn

CloakedFrom Goodreads:
I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all. 
It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission. 
There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.
Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.
Once upon a time there was a woman who picked up a book named Cloaked. She read and read and when she was finished, she wrote a review. Magically, this is the very review you are reading. Surprised? I'm not, since I'm the one writing it and now I am about to finish it. ;)

Cloaked is a mish-mash of old fairy tales, modernized. It mostly revolves around Johnny who despite his own hard work, does not think that anything in his life will change. He is used to keeping his head down and working hard to help his mother out with the family business, shoe repair. He meets a beautiful princess who choses him to go on an unlikely quest to find her brother who is the frog prince. Within the quest he finds 6 sibling swans, a fox, giants, magical objects, and even good and bad witches. What was great is throughout the adventure what was really happening was the adventure of growing up. Johnny was learning to follow through with his promises and how to stand on his own two feet. Luckily he also learns who he truly loves and what it is worth.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. It is a fun and delightful book and really is for the younger YA crowd or even MG audiences. I think they will appreciate it more than the older YA crowd. 

I received this book through Book It Forward ARC tours from Dark Faerie Tales.

12 comments:

  1. Great review! I had fun reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really been wanting to read this one! I'm having a fairy tale remake situation lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like modernized fairy tales. I've been curious about this book; I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once upon a time there was a woman who live in a house made of old book covers. She blames the evil laughing fairy that lives in CO!

    Poor Johnny! He has so many adventures to get through. It was fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this one, I really enjoyed A Kiss in Time and sometimes a cute, fun story is all I want to read. Thanks Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I enjoyed another book of Alex Flinn I might also like this one...but I would need a beach and a margarita in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title sounds like it might be Little Red Riding Hood but then the frog part sounds like The Frog Prince. A little bit of everything I see. I liked Beastly; maybe I'll enjoy this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this one, quirky :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Savannah... thanks! I had fun too. :)

    @Bookish... You'll like this one. Lots of fairy tales mushed together!

    @Misha... You'll like it then. :)

    @Missie... You can't blame me for this one. You read it and reviewed it first! *na na na na na!*

    @Jenny...Oh, it is very cute.

    @anachronist... Can I go?

    @Stephanie... It is a bit of everything!

    @Blodeuedd... Quirky. Great word for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Beastly and liked it but I will probably skip this one! Great Review though and good to know it will work for MG, I want to give it as a gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked darker fairytales. I didnt even know about this one. thanks for bringing to my attention. Check out what is On My Wishlist this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cloaked is one I have been wanting to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!