Saturday, April 3, 2010

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey

Santa Olivia
From the book: There is no pity in Santa Olivia. And no escape. In this isolated military buffer zone between Mexico and the U.S., the citizens of Santa Olivia are virtually powerless. Then an unlikely heroine is born. She is the daughter of a man genetically manipulated by the government to be a weapon. A "Wolf-Man," he was engineered to have superhuman strength, speed, stamina, and senses, as well as a total lack of fear. Named for her vanished father, Loup Garron has inherited his gifts. 
Frustrated by the injustices visited upon her friends and neighbors by the military occupiers, Loup is determined to avenge her community. Aided by a handful of her fellow orphans, Loup takes on the guise of their patron saint, Santa Olivia, and sets out to deliver vigilante justice - aware that if she is caught, she could lose her freedom... and possibly her life.
When I first picked up this book, I was thinking that it was another version of a werewolf story. Not exactly, it is more of a sci-fi superhero story. In fact, parts of it reminded me of the tv show, "Dark Angel." If you look at the cover, her coat is made to look like a cape (and I do love the cover).


This book is such a great read. Even in the slower parts of the book, it builds tension as to what is coming next. You also have great characters in the book, all you either like right away or learn to like as the story goes on. And although there is some vigilante justice, there isn't that much in the book as perhaps you'd like, but it makes sense in the story. Plus, you really root for the Santitos (the orphan's nickname) because of why and how they chose to help the other unfortunate people in the outpost. It's just a fun ride and one that keeps going until the end. Unfortunately, it is the end why I could not give it 5 stars. It lost it's star because of the way it ends. It leaves way too many open questions. I couldn't find out if there was going to be another sequel or if this book is a stand alone.  So, if it had given me, say 10 more chapters or guaranteed me a sequel (which I would certainly read), then it would regain it's last star.


It is an adult book. I must also say that there is sexual content, some violence and a lot of cussing. So, I wouldn't recommend it to the very young set. Otherwise, I do recommend this book wholeheartedly! It is such a good read. I give it 4 stars! Oh, and before I forget, there are parts to the book I would not recommend reading while in the presence of a sensitive, empathic dog (maybe that's just me...). In other words, make sure there is a tissue around in at least one or two parts of the book. 

9 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm not sure this is my typical read, but it sounds really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about that striking cover. And I love the idea of orphans and assuming the identity of a patron saint, as well as the setting - not your usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope it's unusual and not my regular type of read either, but it was surprisingly very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had this book on my list for a while now. I just keep getting off the order of the list by all these other books. Thank you for the great review, now I want it again. :D What am I to do? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to stop back by to let you know I have an award for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that cover too, very cool. I also enjoyed reading your review! Dark Angel, I loved that show. Too bad it stopped. Anyway, the book sounds very good, full with action!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina, I think you'd like it.

    Thanks Melissa! You are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa what does W/W mean? I've been trying to figure it out since you commented...;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!