Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Captivate (Need #2) by Carrie Jones

CaptivateFrom Goodreads:
Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town. 
A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.
Their solution for the pixie problem in the last book haunts Zara. She's a pacifist who still lives in a world of good/bad, black/white with very little grey. Even though her world had opened to possibilities she never knew were possible she tries to cling to that old naive view. As the danger grows so does the band of 4 friends. This is part of the story I really did enjoy. They questioned and grew in understanding of themselves and the world around them. Zara learns that on occasion, violence, as abhorrent as it still is to her, might be necessary to save the one's you love. 


Zara is still my favorite character and her boyfriend, Nick also became a favorite of mine since his character became more developed in this story. I also just loved this story more than the first. The writing is wonderful and any criticisms I had in the last book vanish with this one. I also love the way each chapter is introduced. The last book, each chapter was introduced by a phobia. This one, it is a sentence or phrase from the "How to Survive a Pixie Attack" the group was putting together. My only major warning for this book is that it is a cliff hanger. I think I would have preferred it as a 800 page book instead of a cliffhanger, but you can't get everything you want. :) I can't wait for the next book and in the meantime, I give this book 5 stars!! This is the best book in this series... so far. ;)



I received this signed book from Free Book Friday!

8 comments:

  1. Been awhile since I've read YA I need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing this series around the blogs. Hopefully, i will get to them in the near or nearer future.

    Interesting that it's more enjoyable then the first. That's something to look forward to those who love book one!=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @K.C. I love going through YA sometimes. Especially when they are good! :)

    @Chas seriously, the second one was GOOD and I'm sad #3 isn't even out yet. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I'm wary of starting a series - what if it's so good that I'm left dangling for ages waiting for the next one??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of a specific date, but there is going to be a 3rd one without a doubt... and I will read it, so I'll let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohhh, as if I don't have enough books on the stack here to read! This series sounds like one I am going to have to get. I have to get through a few books here first, but I think I need this series too. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you do that to me too! :) I know what you mean, however... I need to wade through my tbr even though I'm itching to get more books. I'm addicted!

    Oh, and @Stephanie... she is still deciding on a title for the 3rd book, so it might be next year or the end of this year before it is printed. I'm thinking next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have to say it is really great that I found a few people out here that enjoy the same books as me. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!