Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw

The Girl with Glass Feet: A NovelFrom Goodreads:

Strange things are happening on the remote and snowbound archipelago of St Hauda's Land. Unusual winged creatures flit around icy bogland; albino animals hide themselves in the snow-glazed woods; jellyfish glow in the ocean's depths… and Ida MacLaird is slowly turning into glass. 

A mysterious and frightening metamorphosis has befallen Ida – she is slowly turning into glass, from the feet up. She returns to St Hauda's Land, where she believes the glass first took hold, in search of a cure. 
Midas Crook is a young loner, who has lived on the islands his entire life. When he meets Ida, something about her sad, defiant spirit pierces his emotional defenses. As Midas helps Ida come to terms with her affliction, she gradually unpicks the knots of his heart, and they begin to fall in love… 
What they need most is time – and time is slipping away fast. Will they find a way to stave off the spread of the glass? The Girl with Glass Feet is a dazzlingly imaginative and gripping first novel, a love story to treasure.

The description made me think that it was some sort of magical voyage between two people finding a way to each other with Ida's unusual condition as the catalyst. Instead it is a very strange and dark love story between Ida and Midas and the people in their lives. Usually these types of book I find hard to get lost within the pages. That was not the case in this story. It was captivating from the first chapter. 


In the story, many of the characters surrounding the couple who often also have a chapter with their own POV, are looking for some sort of redemption for a wrong turn they took in their lives. It was not that way with Ida and Midas. They were finding a way to wake themselves up to the world and those close around them. To have the courage to make their own mistakes. Although the characters were slow to wake up to taking chances with each other, it was still interesting to see how both characters change toward one another. It was frustrating especially because time was not on their side with Ida's condition getting worse. I did see Ida's condition as a metaphor for a terminal illness. If you consider it, what better metaphor than glass? It is something that alters her body, makes it non-functional and when people see the "glass" it is as if they look right through you. 


I did have a hard time deciding if I would give this book 3 1/2 stars or if I would give it a full 4 stars. My main objection is my own and had nothing to do with the writing itself. And by throwing out my personal preference, I'd have to say it was too well written for me to take it down slightly. Therefore, I give it 4 stars and recommend this book for people who want a dark, strange and lyrical type of romance story.


I won this ARC from the Misfit  Salon's Ginormous Giveaway. 

5 comments:

  1. ***Spoiler***You know something I forgot to put in my review was the expectation that somehow Ida and Midas were going to find a cure. That's what would have happened in most books. Happy endings rule. But the ending was bittersweet in this one.

    Great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *****Spoiler*****Ah, so you discovered my preference! Yes, I do prefer happy endings because in life we don't get those often. So, I want them in my books. :) At least the ending wasn't hollow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa.... do you happen to have a blog button I am not seeing=) I finally learned how to make a scroll and I wanted to add your button if you have one!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chas, no I don't have one, but I have been thinking about making one. Perhaps I'll do it this week. :) Thanks for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have none either. I am thinking about hiring someone to design my header and a matching button.

    LMK if you do I;d love to place your button on my scroll!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!