Monday, September 29, 2014

Invisible by Dawn Metcalf

Series: The Twixt #2
380 p.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: Sept. 30, 14
Source: From NetGalley and Publisher for review
Some things lie beneath the surface.

Invisible.

With the power to change everything.

Joy Malone wants it all—power, freedom and the boyfriend who loves her. Yet when an unstoppable assassin is hired to kill her, Joy learns that being the girl with the Sight comes with a price that might be too high to pay. Love will be tested, lives will be threatened, and everyone Joy knows and cares about will be affected by her decision to stand by Ink or to leave the Twixt forever.

Her choice is balanced on a scalpel's edge and the consequences will be more life-altering than anyone can guess.
My thoughts:
This is the second book in the Twixt series and this series should be read in order. I think it is important here not just for character development but for world building as well.

I enjoyed most of the book and liked that Joy grows and finds her own inner strength and saves herself rather than relying on others constantly. Her behavior before that frustrated me but at the same time I also can see that it was purposeful to highlight her growth. Still, some of the things she did left me shaking my head in wonder.

I liked the addition of Stef, her bother, who was more involved this time. I would like to see more of that as well as more involvement with her father. I liked the growth of Ink even as small as it was. It was interesting seeing him become more of a human. I was more convinced here of the romance than I was in the previous book. There is still more to be done to really see them as a couple, but I do like the advancement toward the relationship.

I give this book 3 stars. I recommend it to those that enjoy YA and a strange and different world.

24 comments:

  1. It sounds interesting and I hope you'll have more with book 3. Well at last I know I need to read it in order lol. It's a good things to know. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The strange and different world does get my attention

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the romance in this installment was a bit more convincing than in book one, I remember that being one of my small issues with that book. Joy sounds a little tricky in this one, but hopefully the next book will show us all how far she's come:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still might find issue with the romance, but I think you will see the progress.

      Delete
  4. Whilst determined not to begin any books that form a series there is always going to be an exception to that rule, sadly I'm not sure this is going to be one of those exceptions though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might wait until the next book comes out before committing since it seems like a good story, but not one that would blow me away. Glad to hear the romance was more convincing in this installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have an interesting world here. I think you would enjoy that. :)

      Delete
  6. Not sure this is for me with a frustrating protagonist but this does seem quite promising. I'm definitely going to wait to see how the sequel fares before diving into this one, though. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of promise here. I think that is why I keep reading it. :)

      Delete
  7. I think I am passing on this one. The first book was just average for me and seeing that this one was a three star read from you, tells me this series isn't going to be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, you might not like it, but I can say at least the characters do grow.

      Delete
  8. As the cover tells me nothing, is it fantasy? contemporary? pnr?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growth is always good but yeah usually I'm doing the head shake bit too over things a character will do. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a three-star rating on the first one, which is pretty much why I haven't picked up this second story (that and I'm terrible about continuing YA series).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I'm all for strange and interesting worlds and I'm so glad the romance has improved, but overall, I'm not sure this is the right read for me.But I actually own the first one and the cover is so pretty, I doubt I'll be able to resist. I'm shallow like that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Indelible but haven't gotten to it yet.
    I like that Joy is showing strength, it's a good thing when women rely on themselves ;) Nothing frustrates me more then helpless women ...
    Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some growth is better than none at all, and I'm pleased to discover that the romance was more along the lines of what you were hoping for than what was showcased in the previous book. Still, 3-stars isn't enough for me to add it to my TBR pile, especially considering it's YA.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds interesting, I think I have the first book in my tbr pile...somewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I been keeping an eye out on this series, does sound interesting. Glad there is world building even if it sounds like character relationships are taking the slow ship down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't had a strong urge to read this series though a few things have got me a bit curious. I might consider picking the first up at the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!