Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Children's Book Review: Julia's House for Lost Creatures by Ben Hatke

Illustrator: Ben Hatke
Age range: 4-8
40p.
Publisher: First Second
Published: 9/2/14
Source: From publisher for review
When Julia and her walking house come to town, she likes everything about her new neighborhood except how quiet it is! So Julia puts a sign up: “Julia’s House for Lost Creatures.” Soon she’s hosting goblins, mermaids, fairies, and even a dragon. Quiet isn’t a problem anymore for Julia…but getting her housemates to behave themselves is! 
The first ever picture book by Zita the Spacegirl author/illustrator Ben Hatke is painted in his charming, detailed, immersive watercolors.
My thoughts:
Well, I don't normally review children's books for one simple reason... I don't have kids. I do take the suggestions I see out in the blogosphere to my cousins but normally I don't read them. However, when I got this book I had to take a look. I love illustrated books and I love the artwork within those pages.

In the simple story Julia is looking to extinguish her loneliness with something different. She puts out a sign and gets some really interesting guests. At first their is chaos but Julia knows how to handle it. In the end everyone lives harmoniously with each other even though they are all very different. Yep, cute story as well.

I don't want to give too much in the way of the illustrations but the author/illustrator did a post on how the character of Julia evolved. Just go HERE to see all those lovely illustrations.

I recommend this book who enjoy picture books, even kids. This is a delightful creature book that isn't scary but fun. I would probably give the story 4 stars and the illustrations a 5.

24 comments:

  1. Oh yes I read 3 books by the author and it was a nice discovery. I didn't know this one though, but it looks sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to read the others I have on my review list. I just have to get to them... :)

      Delete
  2. heh, I have kids but usually don't review children's fiction... I can never think of what to say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would do well and you could get the second opinion of your child. :)

      Delete
  3. SAME! I don't have kids either but I'm always on the lookout for recommendations for my cousins or nieces. And I LOVE admiring the illustrations, the ones in this book are just gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the illustrations and have looked at kids books just to check them out. :)

      Delete
  4. Aw that looks cute. My mom loves childrens books so I'm always keeping an eye out on ones I could pick up for her as prezzies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks like all kinds of fun. I do have two kids perfect for this book so I will look it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have a 7-year-old and this sounds like a story she'd very much enjoy, and so would I. So I'll probably get it for both of us. And the illustrations as you describe them are practically irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think you both would love the illustrations especially. :)

      Delete
  7. This looks like fun and sounds adorable. I'm a bit behind on my children's reads lately but I'll add this to one to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've got a few young cousins who love it when I buy them cute books like this one! I'll have to remember to have an eye out of this one to bring them next time I see them! Sounds super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds charming, and I love illustrated books. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, this looks cute! And I love the new background!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this one too! I don't have children either, but i know a lot of kids, so it's fun to see what picture books are coming out nowadays. Loved the illustrations too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss getting kids books and reading to my son. I wonder if he'll let me as a birthday gift to me. :D This sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice change to see a children's book being reviewed here. As my great nephew will be four this December I'll keep this one in mind as a book I'd (sorry, he'd) enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a cool little story! I also don't have kids but am always on the lookout for recommendations for friends and their kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!