Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Audiobook Review: Trapped by Kevin Hearne


Series: Iron Druid #5
Narrator: Luke Daniels
9 hrs. 2 min.
Publisher: Random House Audio
Available Now
Source: Library
After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave. 
Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge—but he’ll have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do lists.
My thoughts:
I still love this series but this one actually becomes a bit slow even with all the fighting going on. It seems that our druid and some of the fae tend to go off on story tangents even when faced with insurmountable odds. While I do like the stories and this world's take on the legends, the stories here were constant and actually got in the way of the main storyline. Still enjoyed the characters in the book and Oberon was, as always, a great comedy break. Still, it lacked the cohesiveness of the other stories. 

As a side note: my doberman's biggest complaint is that Oberon never got to tell the story of Jean Claude Van Ham. He was quite put out that Atticus stopped him from telling that tale. Just had to throw that in there. :)

I did like that some issues that had be going on have been solved in this book! That was a major plus and now I hope the story starts to get back on track. Luke Daniels still rocks the series and I hope he voices these books until the end. Yep, going to have to get that next book and catch up with this series. I recommend the series to those that enjoy UF, but understand that this book goes a bit off track but yet the information is important to the rest of the series.

Bloggy PS:
I'm at the Geeky Book Blogger discussing my love of libraries!

24 comments:

  1. Sweet! I need to read this one. I love this series, and it's the only one I prefer on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series on audio. I've done every book this way. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope the next one will have all the elements you love. I have the first novel but I still need to get into it. I'm too behind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy this series! Wait until you meet Oberon. :)

      Delete
  3. A shame you didn't find this one quite as much to your taste,here's hoping the next book will find the series back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too worried. It still has all the elements I enjoy and I still did like it. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like this book is definitely a middle book - building things up for future installments. Those types of books are always a bit slower which is a shame, but hopefully the next book makes up it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that it did wrap things up finally too. I think you are right though, it was a sort of middle book.

      Delete
  5. I have noticed a lot of UF series feeling slower even if they're in the middle of a big war, and maybe it's my own reading experience because I'm not reading them quickly enough in succession. Bummed that your dobie never got the scoop on Jean Claude Van Ham! :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really really need to give this series a go. I know so many who enjoy it now. Will have to see if our library has them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy it, but don't get it for the romance. It isn't there for several books.

      Delete
  7. Not a fan of the multi-POV but sometimes it works. Will do the next on audio as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way, Melissa! I thought the author went too deep into explaining details that I really didn't care about which made me kinda skimmed those parts. I was also disappointed that Granuaile didn't really have much of a part in this book like I had expected. The next book is better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have loved to know the story of Jean Claude Van Ham too! How very disappointing. Also, this is pretty much where I gave up on the series. Not even Luke Daniels was able to save it for me. Kearne has a habit of going into lecture mode, which bothers me quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I struggled a bit with this one. That whole scene toward the end with the dwarf got sooo long.... I still am enjoying the series, and I adore Luke Daniels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't started this series. I hope the next book picks back up again for you!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I own book one, but haven't read them..I am thinking maybe I should just start these on audio :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm disappointed that this book isn't up to par with the rest of the series but it still seems like such a solid edition to the UF genre that I know I have to bump these books waaay up my TBR. Fantastic review, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love this series and I'm so sorry your dobie was disappointed about missing the rest of the Jean Claude Van Ham story -- me, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear that it slowed down some but glad that it solved some of the problems

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg, I need to catch up on this series. I've only read book one and have books 2 & 3 just sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so love this series but haven't read this one yet! Sounds like this one may not be as great as the others?
    Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!