Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fae: Call of the Forgotten #1) by Julie Kagawa

Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them. 
That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for. 
Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.
This is Ethan's, Megan's brother, story. Ethan is now a teen and we have seen what having the sight has done to him. He is paranoid and keeps everyone at a distance. His harsh attitude isn't because he hates the world, it's because he doesn't feel that anyone is safe around him. He feels that he brings trouble and the people around him pay the consequences. He tries to lessen those consequences to himself alone. He discovers in his adventures, however, that you cannot control everything including the irrepressible Kenzie who can see past his own brand of glamor and finds the true Ethan.

I have to say that the character of Ethan did not connect with me directly. He kept everyone at arms length including me while reading his tale. How I did connect with him was through another character, Kenzie. Her spirit and no-nonsense attitude really drew me in and by consequence Ethan as well. Without her I don't think I would have connected to Ethan at all. She was my favorite new character.

Some of the characters are back from the Iron Fae series. Grim!!! You know I'm a total Grim fan so I squeed (excuse me) when he came onto the scene. Although less onery than in the past, he still had the same spirit that made me love him in the first place. We also get visited by Puck (who I wanted more but may get later) and, of course, a bit of Meghan and Ash. We also get new characters in Kerrian and Razor who happened to be my other favorite introduction. That little character had me smiling more than once.

The world of the Nevernever is as beautiful and deadly as ever. I still love the world in which Julie Kagawa creates. I was not disappointed here at all. The plot seemed a bit uneven but still flowed well and kept my interest. I would have liked to have really understood some of the "evil" characters better and Kerrian as well. I just didn't understand the motivations in the end. I understood somewhat but not completely. Let me just say that Kerrian baffled me in the end. I got his sympathy but not his actions. However, I do think some key information was given within his actions that will play out in the next book. Curious? ;)

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I wanted more information than was given and was a bit frustrated. I wanted to know the motivations of the primary and even more so of the secondary characters. So many questions I have now and no answers. I, of course, have to have the next book as I know these answers will eventually come. This is a series you really should start with the Iron Fae series. The return character's actions become more clear if read in that manner.
I received this eARC from Harlequin and NetGalley and no compensation for my review was given.

12 comments:

  1. Hopefully you had Kenzie in this one. I understand I don't really know what I think about Kierran, he is so strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenzie is the only way I connected with Ethan. I don't know about Kerrian either. :)

      Delete
  2. RAZOR!!! He was my favorite new addition as well, he just made me happy every time he came on the page. I want a Razor of my very own:) I had a few frustrations with this one as well, but I remember feeling the same way with The Iron King, and then each book after that got under my skin a little more and a little more until I was madly in love with the series. I'm hoping Ethan's story is going to be much the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Razor!!! Me want too. :D

      I'm also thinking the same thing. Although I did like the Iron King better, I suspect this series will do the same thing and I'll be loving Ethan as much as Meghan.

      Delete
  3. Ahh,I was hoping you love this book a bit more. I totally loved this book. I love that all my fave characters are back, like Razor. And OMG! Then re guy. I can not wait to hear more about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I'll end up a total fan as the series moves along. I'm not worried at all. :) Can't wait for the next.

      Delete
  4. I've not read of Julie's Fae books yet - I'm obsessive about reading them in order (unlike some people! :-) So hopefully I'll get to it at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this coming up soon and I can't wait to dive back into the Never Never. S happy to hear that Grim and Puck return. I am a huge Grimalkin and Puck fan! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frustration when reading is never , that I would not enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only read the first 3 in the other series (I was team Puck) so I am not sure if I will pick this one up. I probably will at some point but I will have to be in the mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SO anxious to read this one! I haven't got it yet but am thinking I'll be visiting the bookstore Sunday, so maybe then. I'm very anxious to see some of the old characters we love so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!