Thursday, October 18, 2012

Reaper (Lightbringer #2) by K.D. McEntire

After the death of her mother, Wendy learns that she is part of a powerful and ancient family of Reapers. She has only a matter of days to unravel the mysteries her mother left behind and to convince her wary family to accept her as one of their own.









This is the second book in the Lightbringer series, the first being aptly named, Lightbringer. This is a series that I strongly advise NOT to read out of order. First, it picks up where the last left off and second because the world is a bit complicated you would become lost in the never and I'm not sure you'd find your way out. Now, don't let that scare you. By reading in order the complex world becomes much easier to understand. In other words, it is just so twisty you cannot jump in the middle to untangle this web. However, by starting at the beginning, you have a map in which to follow.

We were left with some holes in the information we sought in the last book and this book does provide some answers. You have to go through some twists and turns to get to those answers, but much greater understanding about Piotr and Wendy's mother Mary are given. However, that sigh of relief is hard to get and frustration on wanting that information does tend to get to you, but even so you are entertained by the adventure getting there. Unfortunately, not all answers are given that are sought. That brings me to my biggest complaint about this book...

Cliffie warning! Yep, this one has a big cliffie. One in which you know that our heros will get out of but not know how. You are also left with a thirst for more knowledge which is not fully quenched. Still, I have to say that this book is a necessity in this series and should not be missed. All the important information you were able to gather goes a long way in understanding the world as well as the adventure.

Now, I'm sure I may have scared a few of you who do not like complex novels. Seriously, if started in order it  isn't as complex as it seems at times. The book does flow and the engaging characters keep you interested and invested in the adventure. I give this book 3 1/2 stars (I deduct 1/2 star for the cliffie) and I do recommend it to the older YA crowd and those that really like a dark twisty world. I am really enjoying this adventure in the alternate world of Peter Pan.
I received this book from Pyr and no compensation for my review was given.

18 comments:

  1. No! Not a cliffie! I hate cliffies (actually I don't if the next book is available) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you... as long as I have the next book. I still think they are too clichéd though. Although I don't mind open threads in a series...

      Delete
  2. Putting this series on my to be ordered from the library and read after nano list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awful cover, I can't make up my mind whether he's in severe pain or merely in need of the toilet. Great review though, I quite like cliffies as they give you something to ponder on while your waiting for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No toilet... he's not exactly in our realm of reality... ;)

      Delete
  4. Argh! I hate cliffhangers - but at the same time they do make me want to get the next book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got Light bringer because I want to read a Peter Pan retelling. I am all about complex but not about the intolerable cliffie so now I am going to wait because I just can't handle another cliffhanger right now, I loathe them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will like this one. It is complex, but still understandable. I so loathe cliffies too!

      Delete
  6. A cliffhanger? Nooooooo! I tire of them even though they serve their purpose and always leave me desperate for the next book. I agree this world is definitely complex, and I'm glad we at least get some answers to our questions even if it's a frustrating journey to uncover them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO with you! Cliffies are overly done! We will want more answers though. *sigh* :)

      Delete
  7. Oh no evil cliffie alert, eeeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've paid much attention to this series but I like a twisty story! And as long as it's not TOO complicated when I read in order that's okay with me. But the cliffhanger might be enough to hold off until all three books are in hand though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like dark, twisty worlds! But, I'm not sure about this book. Not so sure...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I didn't know the second one was out. AAAh a cliffie it's always terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an interesting series, but not liking the cover at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't read the second book since the first book didn't capture me as much. Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!