Friday, October 5, 2012

RUA by Miranda Kavi

A girl with an unknown destiny.

A boy from a hidden world.

When Celeste starts at a new school in a small, Kansas town, she hears whispering voices, has vivid nightmares, and swarms of blackbirds follow her every move. She is oddly drawn to aloof Rylan, the other new student who has his own secrets.

The exact moment she turns seventeen, she wakes to a bedroom full of strange creatures, purple light emanating from her hands, and Rylan breaking in through her bedroom window. 
He knows what she is...
First, can I say that I love this cover? Colors are so pretty! Okay, that off my chest, I have to say I did enjoy this fae tale. Many of the elements within the book did surprise me. First, other than the mean popular girl, there were some stereotypes that were turned on it's ear. I really enjoyed that, especially how Celeste's human family came about. I am so happy to see that, since I just love it when people play with perceptions like that. It also didn't expound upon this turning either. It just stated it and moved on. Another point to the author.

I did enjoy the characters. Celeste and Tink were my favorites. I just LOVED Tink. I loved how strong Tink was despite having to deal with prejudice in his past for being gay. Oh and he is such a sweet and loyal bestie, you wonder if he could be friends with you. I also loved Celeste and she complimented him pretty well.

I did have a few minor problems with this book. One was the mean girl. I get how she fit into the story, but the section where she was bulling Celeste just didn't fit in with the story as a whole. I mean I just couldn't feel that intimidated by her when Celeste is fearing fae that could destroy her. You could lift that section out, and I would have liked it more. Also, although in this case I didn't mind the insta-attraction Celeste and Rylan felt for each other (in some ways it made sense), I just didn't feel like I totally trusted him. So, his behavior in the later part of the book gave me pause. Nothing serious, but I would have liked to perhaps really get to know him before I felt our heroine was safe to fall for him.

I give this book 3 stars. It ends with a twist I think you'll like. Even though I thought it could still use a bit of tightening up with editing, it still reads very smoothly and your time goes fast. It's fun read and I do want to know what comes next for Celeste and her friends.
I received this book for the book tour and no compensation for my review was given.

Bloggy note:
Don't forget you can still enter for the PB copy of this book and some great swag! Just go HERE to enter. US only.

13 comments:

  1. Terrified of birds since childhood I some think I'll be giving this a miss. Great review though, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on that cover Melissa, it's stunning with all those bright, warm colors! I can definitely understand wanting to get to know Rylan a little better before she falls for him, but I'm glad the insta-love wasn't a huge detriment to the story for you. That's always a good sign:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I just didn't buy Rylan as a good bf... in this one... yet. :) And the insta-love only bugged me slightly. ;)

      Delete
  3. No bullies! Ugh those mean girls, and if she doesn't even fit in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I'm just not big on the whole mean girl issue... very clichéd. :-/

      Delete
  4. I agree loved Tink, hated the mean girl issue and felt it moved to fast and glossed over stuff. Didn't really like Rylan either :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, not sure if I read this book. Mean girls make my blood pressure go up. I always get so annoyed and angry at the tactics. But it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the cover! Tink and Celeste sound intriguing. Difficult to have a mean girl like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to start this one dude!!! Think sounds super fab!

    So the mean girl was too hateful or it just didn't fit? And Rylan.... Hmmm.... Good insta-love? SO hard to accomplish! And coming from you- that's a HUGE deal!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tink? That name sounds super weird. Is it short for Tinkerbell? Anyway, nuff about the name. The story sounds really nice. I do like a fae tale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, so glad to see you really enjoyed this one so much. :D And loved the characters so. It sounds like a great read! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!