Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices Trilogy #3) by Shelley Adina

An air voyage to remember turns into a disaster no one may survive. 
With her orphaned charges, Lady Claire Trevelyan joins the Earl of Dunsmuir’s family on an airship voyage to the Americas. If she can stay out of Lord James Selwyn’s way until her eighteenth birthday, she will be of age and cannot be forced into marriage. What she doesn’t know is that Lord James is in the Americas, too, with Andrew Malvern closing in on him—and the wonderful device he stole. But when a storm cripples the airship and air pirates swoop in like carrion birds, Claire and the children must live by their wits to make their way across a harsh landscape. Will Andrew ever see her again and right the wrong he believes he has done? Will Lord James succeed in his monumental thievery? And how exactly does Rosie the chicken evade the soup pot? 
Tighten your goggles, pull on your gloves, and prepare yourself for stratagems and strangeness in the third book in the series, Magnificent Devices!
I read and reviewed book #1 in this trilogy, Lady of Devices, when I did Steampunk week last year (it was only last year? I swear that was longer...).  I had bought that book for myself and was very pleased with how it was written. Unfortunately I wasn't able to read the second book (you book bloggers know why that happens...) but was contacted to read the third in the series. I was hesitant to pick it up since I haven't read the second (I do plan on correcting that) but was assured that I could dive into this one without worry. So, those of you who know me... I took the plunge.

It did help that I read the first. As I was reintroduced to many of the characters, I was reminded of the quirky kids Lady Claire became introduced in the first book. And although I did feel like I was missing pieces of the puzzle, they weren't key pieces as I was able to really be fully engaged within the book. It is also a short book, but by no means without adventure. You are on an adventure from almost the start.

What I loved about this book and the book before were the characters. Even a chicken becomes part of the story and has a personality of her own. I think it was a fun addition to the characters although at times it might have gotten in the way. Not too much, but I would have missed it if it was left out. I just adored Rosie the chicken. The kids are also so ornery you can't help but love them. Definitely having a mind of their own, they take over the story and really bring life to the tale. Anyone who hates these kids becomes an instant enemy and anyone who loves them an instant friend. You had no doubt when that happened.

My biggest complaint was a small scene with what I assumed was a mountain lion. It was a personal niggle that wouldn't have happened in the way described. It really was the only part I didn't like. My second criticism is about the ending. It was too open. Not a cliffie, per se... but was open for another book in the series. The title reads trilogy, but NO! I have to know what happens! What is next. Not everything felt complete and I hope it goes on... perhaps planned in another way so the trilogy can be kept but a side series is born. One can hope.

I give this book 4 stars. It was a fun short book that I hope continues with the tale. I'll be getting that second book shortly and fill in the things that I became curious about.
I was given this book from the KLF and no compensation for my review was given.  

18 comments:

  1. Great cover and I like the sound of those air pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, nice cover! And with pirates!!!! So need to read this book. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pirates aren't too smexy, but it doesn't lack smexy characters... ;)

      Delete
  3. You jumped into the 3rd book without reading the 2nd? I don't believe it Melissa! Not you! You wouldn't do such a think ;-) It's nice you at least had read the first so you knew the world and the characters:) The ending is a bit disappointing for me as I'm that reader that likes the last book in a series to answer all her questions and tie things up neatly. I can't help it, I need all the details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... hard to believe, right? ;)

      It is an ending but I just wasn't convinced. That is actually a good thing... :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the lovely review, Melissa! I'm a big fan of Rosie the chicken, too :) One point of clarification--the feline was a bobcat, and that scene was based on personal experience. I was able to save one of my hens in much the same way as Claire saved Rosie--minus the lightning rifle, of course :) Truth is stranger than fiction!

    Now, on to book four, A Lady of Resources! --Shelley Adina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It wasn't clear, but it makes sense since they didn't know the local wildlife. I just couldn't wrap my brain around her doing that to a cougar. :)

      YaY! A 4th! :D I knew it wasn't over.

      Delete
  5. Hey a chicken now that is new! I remember seeing these gorgeous covers and wanting go check these books out, now I am irritated too if a trilogy is something beyond.....Lame! Still it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry... look above you. :) A 4th is in the works.

      The chicken is a hoot. :D

      Delete
  6. Oh it sounds like a nice series, so fun when you can have a great stempunk book. Now I want to meet the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to look at the cover to remember the series, but now I do. Sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got the first one quite a long time ago but I don't think I've really seen many reviews so I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I look forward to giving it a read and continuing the trilogy. But I'm sad it's an open ending. Maybe the author will decide to do more books. We can hope.
    I love funny chicken's in stories! I have read a few and those chickens sure have awesome personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds very interesting, thanks for the review! (But I would have read the second book first, I really cannot read out of order).

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol. I have to say I love the sounds of this series. So glad to see you are enjoying it. :D Thank you! And heres hoping the next wont take long to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a series I'll have to read. Without your review, the synopsis even interested me, but when a chicken gets it's own part, well, you gotta read that book! Thanks for the great review. I think I'll read in order!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way---you skipped a book in a series? I am just impressed you read the first one :)

    The ending would have killed me but you know me and my issues. Maybe she will right a short novella to tie it all up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!